Default Rebuild leaking Volvo Penta SX Sea Water Pump?

Just changed all my drive belts and impeller, and now notice that the
Sea Water Pump is slowly leaking. I see signs that it was leaking
before I changed the belts. This is the pump that hangs off the side
of the engine, driven by a belt. Is there any way to replace the
shaft seals or buy a rebuilt pump? The price for the whole pump is
almost $300!!!! This is an unacceptable price since it's only a seal
that needs replacing. I'm tempted to just let it leak (fresh water
only).

Thanks,

Jim

Ycould take it apart and see if it looks like the seal can be r&r'd. I
doubt it's really "volvo", probably someone else. Might be a piece of
something caught in the seal as well. If you just replaced the impeller
didn't you notice if the seal could be removed??? Also check the play in
the shaft as if that is sloppy that could be why it is leaking.
Overtightening the belt that drives these is hard on them.

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

OK I took it apart and it looks just like a regular shaft seal. Made
of rubber. Looks like you just pry it out and press the new one in.
If I pour water in the housing the shaft seal drips every 15 seconds
even with no pressure on it. This really burns me up. Almost $300
for a little seal. Called the dealer and the seal is not available
separately. Any way to tell who made the pump if not Volvo? The
shaft turns nice and tight with no slop. And of course on the kitchen
counter, there is no belt tension.

Thanks,

Jim

OK I took it apart and it looks just like a regular shaft seal.

To clarify, it looks like a small version of the rear seal on a wheel
hub, with a double lip, but no metal ring.

If I take it out, it will ruin it (prob already is ruined). Wonder
who would carry similar parts.

Jim

wrote in news:1177736987.521492.159750
@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

OK I took it apart and it looks just like a regular shaft seal.

To clarify, it looks like a small version of the rear seal on a wheel
hub, with a double lip, but no metal ring.

If I take it out, it will ruin it (prob already is ruined). Wonder
who would carry similar parts.

Jim

Also try:
http://www.go2marine.com/category.do?no=13677

Lots of rebuild kits for Volvo water pumps. Don't know which one is for
your application, but it says you can even call them to ask. Dude, you've
got to learn to Google!

Also try:http://www.go2marine.com/category.do?no=13677

Lots ofrebuildkits forVolvowater pumps. Don't know which one is for
your application, but it says you can even call them to ask. Dude, you've
got to learn to Google!

Nope, already looked at the pump rebuild kits, and called the Volvo
dealer who told me to buy a new pump. No kit for my pump which is
part # 3851623. Tore it all the way apart and got a number off the
seal. Spent 3 hours searching and finally found this metric seal.
Easy to get in UK and Australia. Only one place here in US (on web
anyway). Found it at Torresen Marine and the seal is from a generator
water pump. http://www.torresen.com/
Seal - Water Pump Jabsco 50340-001 16X28X7 2700-1027
The 16x28x7 is the metric sizes 16mm shaft diameter, 28mm bore
diameter (seal is slightly larger than that for sealing fit 28.2mm),
and 7mm width. Had to make sure it was water sealing capable, not
just oil seal. There was a small groove on the shaft where the old
seal rode that I buffed out so the shaft should not tear up the new
seal. The seal cost less than $7, so I ordered 2, shipped for
$20.69. Hope it goes back together OK. I plan to freeze the saft and
heat the pulley before pressing back together. Very tight fit. Had
to use a pulley puller to get it off. Wrote this detailed description
so the next guy who runs across this problem can Google and go.
Really sucks that Volvo doesn't support their products any better than
that.

Jim