Default Good old State of Connecticut...

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 05:10:38 GMT, "Mike" wrote:

I guess the real point here is that if all he has to do is carry his current
documents in the boat, he should be able to bring those same documents in,
to get the ID card. He should probably still pay the testing fee, but that
should be it.

I agree with Tom, it's just silly

Additionally, if you get stopped for whatever reason - say a safety
inspection - and they ask for your operater's card, you show them
Master's documents, expect to get the third degree and the most nit
picking safety inspection you could imagine.

It's happened to me - twice - once in RI and once in CT, once on the
second Contender and once on the Ranger.

I don't carry the Master's license anymore when I'm out unless I have
a client aboard.

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
On 27 Mar 2007 16:47:01 -0700, "mjpierce5" wrote:

On Mar 27, 7:42 pm, Charlie Morgan wrote:
On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 23:17:05 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing

wrote:

One of my good friends just retired from the Merchant Marine after
twenty years as Captain of various tanker and super tanker vessels.

Since he retired, he purchased a boat (50 foot Hatteras convertible)
and went to see the DEP about getting the required Boating Operation
Certificate. He took all his Master's documents down to DEP HQ in
Lyme, CT and was refused - he has to take a boating course.

So I looked it up. As silly as this is, here is the official
statement on previous experience.

13 - I have a valid Coast Guard Operating License. Do I need the Safe
Boating Certificate to operate my boat?

If you have a current master, mate, or pilot license issued through
the Coast Guard, you do not need the Connecticut Safe Boating
Certificate to operate your boat. You must keep the valid license with
you at all times. You cannot use the valid Coast Guard License to
obtain your Connecticut Safe Boating Certificate. You would have to
take a boating course or provide us with proof that you have taken an
approved boating course to obtain a safe boating certificate.

Now I ask you - does that seem even reasonable? He doesn't want to
keep his documents with him at all times - not when a small, wallet
sized card is available from the state.

Freakin' unbelivable.

They also offer experienced boaters the opportunity to just take the
test
without the course. Big deal. He should just do what's required and stop
whining
like a spoiled baby. Not everything in life is fair or makes sense. Save
the
tears for something worth getting excited about. Does he have
inoperable
cancer?

Jeez!

CWM

Sounds like the State of CT wants its various assorted fees for taking
the test, issuing the documents, etc...
It also sounds like he could be teaching the course.

Michael

Big deal. Stop crying and do what you have to do. This is not worth
whining
about. If you can't deal with this minor thing, then you probably are NOT
equipped to handle a boat safely.

CWM

Yes, everyone has to be treated the same and the lowest common denominator
in our society are idiots. So we all have to be treated like idiots. Makes
life interesting being treated like an idiot by your own government. IT
become more interesting when government employees are idiots too. They
can't be discriminated against and have to be fairly treated in hiring
practices.

I'm not talking IQ here just common sense.

wrote:

[...]

I'm not talking IQ here just common sense.- Hide quoted text -

IMO, common sense would dictate that when special conditions, such as
holding a master's license, exempt one from following a general
regulation in a specific jurisdiction it isn't unreasonable for the
person taking advantage of the exception to be prepared to document
his exemption.

I'll bet a dollar vs. a donut......(wait, aren't donuts more than $1
these days?)....
that the wallet card would be perfectly adequate "documentation". It
certainly is in WA.

Wendell Willkie DSK ASA 4 March 11th 06 04:32 AM
Wendell Willkie Bob Crantz ASA 0 March 9th 06 11:07 PM