TWB

Default The Latest Bush-ism...

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 12:41:41 -0400, . .@. wrote:

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 16:31:56 GMT, "Jim"
wrote:

Actually I did not. I replied. I did not start a new thread.

Don't blame me for your problems with your ng reader.

Actually, I have a newsreader. You don't. You are using an email
program to approximate reading newsgroups.

Does anybody else see two different threads?

Is it just my newsreader? If so, I'll complain to Forte.

Go to 'Options', 'General Preferences', then click on the 'Message
List' tab. Uncheck 'Start a new thread when a follow-up subject
changes.' Presto-chango, now acts like newer 'newsreaders.'

--
TAmerican
Steven Shelikoff

wrote:

Actually I did not. I replied. I did not start a new thread.

Don't blame me for your problems with your ng reader.

Actually, I have a newsreader. You don't. You are using an email
program to approximate reading newsgroups.

Does anybody else see two different threads?

Is it just my newsreader? If so, I'll complain to Forte.

It's just your newsreader. I'm using Forte Free Agent and the messages
are in the same thread, which is strange since you'd think Agent would
work at least as well as Free Agent. Is there some control you have set
wrong? If you're sorting by subject instead of by thread, that would
explain what you're seeing. Sorting by thread should use the
properly even if the subject changes.

P.S., Netscape also properly shows it as a single thread.

Steve

Gary Warner

But you're still on the hook for using a lame news client like Outhouse
Excuse.

Outlook Express works just fine. Not lame at all.

Doug Kanter

"WaIIy" wrote in message
On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 16:10:58 -0400, "Gary Warner"
wrote:

"Greg O" wrote in message
That's what happens when you use one of these high performance

newsreaders!
Go old OE could care less what the header reads. It groups them because

it
is a response to the previous post. Change the header completely in

your
response and OE still sticks it where it belongs!

Just pulling your chain a bit. I have used a few different news

readers,
but
stick with OE. It is simple, and it does what I want.
Greg

Here. Here. People seem to bash Outlook Express quite a lot
but it's essentially free (comes with windows), does everything
I need, is easy to use, is easy to setup, starts up quickly, etc.

And you can call it an email program if you want but it's
got lots of tools for reading newsgroups that have NOTHING
to do with email. It's really both tools in one. And it
handles them both just fine.

Yes, and OE is the garbage disposal of e-mail clients.

It inhales every worm, trojan and virus that comes along.

Really? They all hit OE on my machine, but are crushed by either ZoneAlarm
(firewall), or McAfee Viruscan, two things which all machines should have,
regardless of the email/news clients being used.

I'm all for stringing up Bill Gates and dropping firecrackers into his
shorts, but the fact is that some MS software works quite well. The biggest
problem with OE and any other client is that too many users don't bother to
read the instructions. It can do much more than meets the eye of the lazy
user.

JohnH

"Greg O" wrote in message
[...]

Add me to the "Free Agent" list. I've used both Outlook and Forte Free Agent for
usenet reading. There is no comparison. Here's the URL. Try the free version,
then pay the small price for the full version. It's great.

http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php

John
On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD

Greg O

"WaIIy" wrote in message

Yes, and OE is the garbage disposal of e-mail clients.

It inhales every worm, trojan and virus that comes along.

Really?
I have been using OE for 5? years for e-mail and groups. Sure I may get a
suspicious e-mail, but I just delete anything I don't recognize anyway. No
virus or worms here! No fire wall or virus software either!
Greg

Jim

"WaIIy" wrote in message
On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 17:49:12 -0500, "Greg O"
wrote:

"WaIIy" wrote in message
.. .

Yes, and OE is the garbage disposal of e-mail clients.

It inhales every worm, trojan and virus that comes along.

Really?
I have been using OE for 5? years for e-mail and groups. Sure I may get a
suspicious e-mail, but I just delete anything I don't recognize anyway. No
virus or worms here! No fire wall or virus software either!
Greg

You're a lucky guy.

I have always used OE and have never had any problems arising from it's use. I run a
basic fire wall (Zone Alarm) and Norton Anti-virus with automatic updates.

Calif Bill

wrote:

"Greg O" wrote in message
[...]

I have both Free Agent and OE. I prefer OE for news. Better treading. As
to sucking up virus, etc. Set it to not run java scripts and other HTML
active X programs. IF you want to run them then you have to click on the
link. Plus I have Norton anti-virus and a firewall, so have not had a virus
in years. And that was from a work machine, that was already infected when
they gave me the floppies from it.
Bill

Doug Kanter

"JohnH" wrote in message

Add me to the "Free Agent" list. I've used both Outlook and Forte Free

Agent for
usenet reading. There is no comparison. Here's the URL. Try the free

version,
then pay the small price for the full version. It's great.

http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php

John
On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD

I tried Forte products about year ago, along with a few other non-MS
programs. If I recall correctly, Agent either won't handle multiple e-mail
accounts, and the help system takes you to their web site, instead of having
those files resident on the user's machine. Is that still the case?

Doug Kanter

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 13:23:44 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"JohnH" wrote in message
.. .

Add me to the "Free Agent" list. I've used both Outlook and Forte Free

Agent for
usenet reading. There is no comparison. Here's the URL. Try the free

version,
then pay the small price for the full version. It's great.

http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php

John
On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD

I tried Forte products about year ago, along with a few other non-MS
programs. If I recall correctly, Agent either won't handle multiple

e-mail
accounts,

This is true, but the next version, out soon, will address that
particular problem. Even then, I'm not sure that I will consider
Agent to be a full featured email client. Try The Bat!, Pocomail, or
Eudora if you want mail.

and the help system takes you to their web site, instead of having
those files resident on the user's machine. Is that still the case?

Nope. I don't ever remember that being the case, though Agent support
is available through the "Help" menu. IMHO, that is a good idea.
Instead of asking you to buy another iteration of the program (like
Micro$oft) Agent puts new and updated programs and information on
their website.... for free. Best way I know of to have the most up to
date program and information for the best price.

That last point is a good one, but still, placing all the help files on the
publisher's web site is a major design sin. The excuse often given is that
the company can update the help files as needed, but that's a crock. The
same help files can also be downloaded to the user's machine to replace the
previous ones. A user should never have to depend on a connection which may
not exist at certain times, for one reason or another.