Default 1st boat purchase

Looking to purchase a first boat and hunting for recommendations -
here is my situation;

- Live in Toronto and would do the majority of by boating in Lake
Ontario, this is a VERY large lake (one of the great lakes).

- Would like to park the boat in my garage, which measures 18 feet, 8
inches. A 16 ft bowrider will fit tightly. I realize this is not an
optimal size for a huge lake.

- Having a single motor on a great lake doesn't appeal to me much.
Mitigating circumstances are that there is alot of boat traffic in the
waters off Toronto and I hear that there is always someone to help.

- Would like to fish (trolling for salmon about all that's available
here) and waterski.

- I live about 2 miles for the boat ramp, and own a sedan with a 3.1
liter engine. I understand that this is less then optimal for towing a
heavy boat, but I could drive slowly. Don't see the wisdom in buying a
new vehicle just so I can go boating. There is a big hill leading to
the boat ramp (bluffers park for you locals).

Finally, I realize this is something that I'd use 10 times a year if
I'm lucky. Any advise out there?

"Paul" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I'd keep my boating to fine days and head back if any kind of heavy weather
came up.
A small 'kicker' motor would be a nice addition if you're nervous.
Here on the Atlantic Coast, a VHF radio is a must. Find out from the local
Coast guard/marine Police if that's the best method of communication for
your area and what channels to use.
Take Canadian Power & Sail Squadron courses in boat handling, VHF use and
navigation.
Check with the dealer to find out what your car is rated to tow (probably
2000 lbs) and have proper hitch installed.
Buy boat accordingly... or join a boat club where you can moor it.

On 20 Mar 2007 09:00:24 -0700, "Paul" wrote:

[...]

In the mid-80's, I had a 15' center console Boston Whaler. I used this in
the Potomac River and in the Chesapeake Bay, on nice days. It was a great
little boat, had a 70hp Johnson that was plenty of engine, and provided a
tremendous amount of enjoyment. We are thinking of moving to North
Carolina, where we would be using a boat exclusively on lakes. That is the
kind of boat I would buy again, only maybe something like the 17' Mako.

I did get caught on the Bay in a thunderstorm in the Whaler. I couldn't see
over the waves, but I was never fearful in that boat.

Let us know what you decide!
--
***** Hope your day is better than decent! *****

John H

On Mar 20, 9:00?am, "Paul" wrote:
[...]

If it gets rough and choppy on Lake Ontario (and I suspect that it
does), a 16-foot boat with an open bow would not be your best choice.
When you are slamming around in head seas you want the waves to break
on a solid deck and drain back overboard, not break into your seating
area, flood your floor boards, and keep your bilge pump busy.

Throwing a canvas across the open bow doesn't really cut it. The
snaps may stand up to the weight and force of larger waves.

A boat with an actual foredeck would allow you to boat on days when it
wasn't almost perfectly calm. You wouldn't want to be far from the
ramp if a squall came up while out in a bowrider. Bowriders have their
place; I think they make an ideal choice as a ski-tow or wakeboard
boat that will be returning to the dock every several minutes or so to
after short, high speed runs. They're probably fine for fishing on
small inland lakes where it would be almost impossible to get more
than a couple of miles from the launch ramp. For doing any sort of
distance on open water, there are better choices available.

Beyond that, look at what your post reveals about your own conclusions
so far:
1) The boat you can fit in your garage may not be large enough for use
on your intended waterway. 2) You are concerned about having only a
single engine. 3)Your tow vehicle is inadequate, but you are not
interested in upgrading to something that would be more appropriate.
4) You won't use the boat very often.

Hoping to avoid sounding like a smart ass (I know, too late already),
I might suggest you rent a boat a few times before jumping into
ownership. You might decide that you love it so much than you would be
willing to reprioritize a few things and acquire a boat and tow
vehicle that will allow you to be more confident. As it is, some of
the concerns expressed in your post are probably well founded.

On 20 Mar 2007 09:53:38 -0700, "Chuck Gould"
wrote:

I might suggest you rent a boat a few times before jumping into
ownership.

Excellent advice, and don't wait for the calmest day of the summer
when you do it.

I grew up boating on Lake Ontario, on a relatively sheltered bay
compared to Toronto. There is a brisk sea breeze almost every
afternoon that kicks things up pretty good. When that happens, and it
happens a lot, anything under 25 ft or so is going to look small.

The size boat that you are talking about is suitable for sheltered
water only, or one of those rare days when Lake O is dead flat calm.

[...]

As I do not use a boat in what most users would call "open water" (I
boat on the Ohio River), so I really can't respond to your concerns
about the appropriateness of a 16 foot open bow boat on Lake Onterio.
I sure wouldn't want to be out very far if even a fairly small storm
came up. However, are you sure that a 16 ft boat will fit in an 18'8"
garage on a trailer? It seems that the outdrive (either from an
outboard or an I/O) combined with the trailer tongue should require
more than 2'8". Maybe not? Most 16' open bow boats are not all that
heavy, so the sedan may be adequate. Probably more dependent on the
car weight and braking capabilities along with the tranny than the
engine size. Check your owner's manual for towing ratings. I would
clearly NOT recommend towing above that rating. Also, how steep is
your local boat ramp. That may be a key issue - whether your sedan can
stop the boat when backing down a wet ramp and whether it can pull the
boat out of the water (extra weight until out and drained) up a wet
ramp.

Dave Hall

"Paul" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Think you forgot the part where you only have $200 to spend....