Default Fresh fish off the coast of NC

"JLH" wrote in message
On 22 Feb 2007 05:06:05 -0800, "dvh" wrote:

On Feb 21, 3:23 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
If I lived in Long Island, I'd know what fish to expect in markets (or
on my
hook) at certain times of year, like flounder, bluefish, porgies, sea
robins, etc. Do some of these same varieties exist local to North
Carolina?

Right now there are Stripers to be caught around New Bern. Plenty of
what we call Speckled Trout up in the feeder creeks. I don't know what
they are doing on the coast.

Are you in the New Bern area?
--
*****Have a Spectacular Day!*****

John H

No. I have a friend in Raleigh who claims her grocery stores never have
locally caught sal****er fish. Not shellfish, but fish. The story sounds
fishy to me, so that's why I'm asking. The problem could be the store, her
lack of knowledge, or maybe there isn't much available for other reasons.
So, I'm curious.

JLH JLH is offline

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 16:22:37 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"JLH" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I was asking 'dvh'. The Safeway just down the road never has any locally
caught fish. The Giant, a couple miles away usually has croaker, stripers,
spot, perch, and sometimes trout, all of which could be considered 'local'.
I've no idea if they were 'locally' caught, however. But, it does show that

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"JLH" wrote in message
[...]

A lot of the big stores do not carry locally caught fish, but on the coast
it is all local. There are a number of small trucks that drive to the coast
and load up with fish and ice then sell locally caught fish on the roadside.
Some of the smaller stores and fish markets also sell local fish. It all
depends on where you shop. I shop at my neighborhood Harris Teeter store
and they rarely have local fish.
John
Chapel Hill

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"JLH" wrote in message
[...]

I live just as close to the coast as your friend in Raleigh, and if it
is locally caught fish, they never label it as such. The do label the
country of origin, wild vs. farm raised, but if I am not mistaken, it
all comes to the store frozen. I have never it labeled as fresh,
unfrozen fish from the GA. coast, NC coast or Fla. coast. I think the
restaurants buy all the fresh local fish, and it never makes it to the
supermarkets.

Ten Years After Chuck Gould General 4 February 14th 07 01:42 PM
New commercial fishing regulations considered........ [email protected] General 10 December 17th 05 06:27 AM
Carribean Sail Don White General 16 November 18th 05 01:23 AM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 7 October 12th 05 10:25 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM