BoatBanter.com

-   -   Nautical Quote of The Day... (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/78398-nautical-quote-day.html)

Short Wave Sportfishing February 17th 07 12:18 PM

Nautical Quote of The Day...

"Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy
and the lash." Sir Winston Churchill

Tim February 17th 07 03:11 PM

Nautical Quote of The Day...

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
"Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy
and the lash." Sir Winston Churchill

"That's all I can stands, and I can't stands no more!" POPEYE

Tim February 17th 07 03:16 PM

Nautical Quote of The Day...

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
"Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy
and the lash." Sir Winston Churchill

"ARRRRRRRRRRR" Blackbeard

Shaun Van Poecke February 17th 07 03:22 PM

Nautical Quote of The Day...

"Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and
the lash." Sir Winston Churchill

that's telling it like it is

Shaun

JimH February 17th 07 03:26 PM

Nautical Quote of The Day...

"Tim" wrote in message
oups.com...

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
"Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy
and the lash." Sir Winston Churchill

"ARRRRRRRRRRR" Blackbeard

"Oh, barnacles!" - SpongeBob SquarePants

Don White February 17th 07 03:42 PM

Nautical Quote of The Day...

"Tim" wrote in message
ups.com...

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
"Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy
and the lash." Sir Winston Churchill

"That's all I can stands, and I can't stands no more!" POPEYE

One of my all-time favourite cartoon characters...
passed only by the likes of JohnH!

Tim February 17th 07 04:32 PM

Nautical Quote of The Day...

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
"Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy
and the lash." Sir Winston Churchill

I always wondered why it seems that all the male members of Englands
Royal Familily become officers in the Royal Navy......

Reginald P. Smithers III February 17th 07 04:42 PM

Nautical Quote of The Day...

Tim wrote:
Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
"Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy
and the lash." Sir Winston Churchill

I always wondered why it seems that all the male members of Englands
Royal Familily become officers in the Royal Navy......

The real reason "non-first born" children of royalty became officers in
the Royal Navy is it gave them an opportunity to make a fortune when
they captured the booty/ships during battle. The majority of the
family's fortune went to the first born, so the others kids had to
actually work for a living. Naval service was considered an honorable
field for Royalty to enter.

Tim February 17th 07 04:50 PM

Nautical Quote of The Day...

Reginald P. Smithers III wrote:
Tim wrote:
Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
"Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy
and the lash." Sir Winston Churchill

I always wondered why it seems that all the male members of Englands
Royal Familily become officers in the Royal Navy......

The real reason "non-first born" children of royalty became officers in
the Royal Navy is it gave them an opportunity to make a fortune when
they captured the booty/ships during battle. The majority of the
family's fortune went to the first born, so the others kids had to
actually work for a living. Naval service was considered an honorable
field for Royalty to enter.

Does that mean that the Rum, sodomy, and the Lash, were perks of the
job?

JLH February 17th 07 05:09 PM

Nautical Quote of The Day...

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 15:42:45 GMT, "Don White"
wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message
oups.com...

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
"Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy
and the lash." Sir Winston Churchill

"That's all I can stands, and I can't stands no more!" POPEYE

One of my all-time favourite cartoon characters...
passed only by the likes of JohnH!

Well, two-thirds of the Neato Hazeltones are here!
--
*****Have a Spectacular Day!*****

John H