Default Ever worry about your boat being stolen?

Checkout the www.octilock.com solution with docklock

On Feb 5, 2:46 pm, Mashy wrote:
Checkout thewww.octilock.comsolution with docklock

Interesting, but I fail to see how that is going to stop
anybody from stealing a boat.

On Feb 5, 12:54?pm, wrote:
On Feb 5, 2:46 pm, Mashy wrote:

Checkout thewww.octilock.comsolutionwith docklock

Interesting, but I fail to see how that is going to stop
anybody from stealing a boat.

Absolutely will not.

Remember "the club"? Supposedly stopped auto theft by adding an
extension to the steering wheel and making it impossible to turn it
far enough to steer.

About 60 seconds with a hacksaw, (30 if you're on meth), and the inch
of steering wheel where the top fitting of the club hooked around the
wheel was gone, gone, gone- and so was "the club". We used to see cars
that had chunks of steering wheel cut away very commonly in the late
80's and early 90's.

A device that supposedly can't be disconnected from the dock simply
invites the local boat thief to bring a small chainsaw and take the
cleat, etc, along with the boat.

Considering how poorly most are secured, ($10 padlock on a $1mm boat),
and considering that almost everyody leaves their "hideout" keys in
one of only about a dozen typical places aboard, it's amazing that
more boats don't go missing.

Chuck Gould wrote:
On Feb 5, 12:54?pm, wrote:
On Feb 5, 2:46 pm, Mashy wrote:

[...]

If I read the info correctly, and it was hard to understand, the concept
of this device, is a loud alarm if anyone removes the security chain.
You can cut the power to the boat, but the alarm will still go off,
because it has a separate battery just for the alarm. The alarm battery
continues to charge from the power cord, but even if the power is
removed, the alarm will still work, if the "security chain" is removed.

On Feb 5, 10:54 pm, "Chuck Gould" wrote:
On Feb 5, 12:54?pm, wrote:

On Feb 5, 2:46 pm, Mashy wrote:

Checkout thewww.octilock.comsolutionwithdocklock

Interesting, but I fail to see how that is going to stop
anybody from stealing a boat.

Absolutely will not.

Remember "the club"? Supposedly stopped auto theft by adding an
extension to the steering wheel and making it impossible to turn it
far enough to steer.

There is literally nothing you can do to prevent theft. I was
talking to a guy last year who had his brand new Ranger Z-21
stolen right off the back of his pickup truck. I've heard that
there are theft rings that look for easy on/off ramps and
registrations from states that are non-title states for boats.
Steal the boat and sell it in another non-title state.

They would have to hook up and tow it out of my secluded driveway. Fat
chance-spammer....
jR

Mashy wrote:

Checkout the www.octilock.com solution with docklock

Tim Tim is offline

On Feb 5, 2:46 pm, Mashy wrote:
Checkout thewww.octilock.comsolution with docklock

Whatever...

Mashy wrote:

Ever worry about your boat being stolen?
Checkout the www.spamalot.com solution with dock****

No. If you can find it, the keys are in it. Go for it.

Rob

On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 22:33:25 -0500, trainfan1
wrote:

Ever worry about your boat being stolen?
Checkout the www.spamalot.com solution with dock****

No. If you can find it, the keys are in it. Go for it.

========

Heh. I had a boat like that, just gave it away since nobody wanted to
steal it. :-)

wrote:
Ever worry about your boat being stolen?
Checkout thewww.spamalot.comsolution with dock****

No. If you can find it, the keys are in it. Go for it.

========

Heh. I had a boat like that, just gave it away since nobody wanted to
steal it. :-)

True story. My nephew is a service manager at a local
boat shop and over the years, managed to gather a collection
of old boats that were abandoned for various reasons.

His shop is on a busy road, so he got this idea to strip the
boats of anything useful (like engines, controls, electronics
if any, etc.), then he put them out on the lawn next to the
road with a big sign on them - FREE.

If I had not see it with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed
it, but I've seen people get into fights over who was going to
take the old broken down stripped out boat on the flat tired
rusty old trailer.

I've done it here. When I was going to restore that '68 Chris
Craft Corsair, I obtained an old Glastron with it because it
had the exact same engine. I pulled the old engine out of the
Glastron, stripped the controls and put the boat out by the
road with a big sign FREE. I left to go to the PO and do my
morning patrol - maybe an hour and when I came back, it
was gone.

Amazing.