Default A bridge over troubled waters?

Who cares. It's mostly Democrats up that way anyhow. I'm only interested
if this sudden surge in suicides help to make Washington a Red State.

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Posted on Sun, Jan. 28, 2007

Suicide jumpers alarm Seattle office workers

The Associated Press

SEATTLE - A bridge over Seattle is becoming hazardous to the mental health
of the dot-com employees and other office workers below, who keep seeing
people jump to their deaths from the span.

Thirty-nine people over the past decade have committed suicide off the
155-foot-high Aurora Bridge - eight in 2006 alone - and counselors are
regularly brought in to help office workers deal with the shock of seeing
the leap or the bloody aftermath.

At least one woman, Sarah Edwards, drives on the left side of the street
near her office ever since a body landed on the hood of a co-worker's car.

City and state officials, meanwhile, are adding suicide-prevention signs
and telephones in hopes of reducing the death toll.

The "suicide bridge," as the half-mile span has been occasionally called
since it was built in 1931, carries as many as 45,000 vehicles a day on
one of the main north-south highways through Seattle, passing over a
narrow channel connecting Lake Washington and Lake Union.

Some jumpers hit the water; others land on the pavement or other solid
ground. Either way, they almost always die. (One person is said to have
survived after landing in the water.)

The neighborhood beneath the bridge used to be docks and warehouses, and
the suicides went largely unnoticed. But during the technology boom of the
past two decades, it morphed into a trendy area full of office buildings,
shops and restaurants, and the bodies began to fall where people could see
them.

"They end up in our parking lot," said Katie Scharer, one of Edwards'
co-workers at Cutter & Buck, a sportswear company based in the Adobe
complex. "Nobody's ever totally used to it."

- - -

Maybe a day of sunshine up there might help raise the spirits of the
jumpers?

On Jan 28, 1:20�pm, "NOYB" wrote:
Who cares. *It's mostly Democrats up that way anyhow. *I'm only interested
if this sudden surge in suicides help to make Washington a Red State.

You wouldn't feel that way, NOYB, if you really understood our
political mix up here. Those Democrats who jump from the bridge? By
local standards they're considered *conservatives*. :-)

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
ups.com...

On Jan 28, 1:20?pm, "NOYB" wrote:
Who cares. It's mostly Democrats up that way anyhow. I'm only interested
if this sudden surge in suicides help to make Washington a Red State.

You wouldn't feel that way, NOYB, if you really understood our
political mix up here. Those Democrats who jump from the bridge? By
local standards they're considered *conservatives*. :-)

++++++++++++++++++++++

No matter how I spin it I cannot find a boating related spin to your reply.

You jump on folks for posting OT yet it is OK for you to do the exact thing
you bitch about................????

Time for you to take a stand and stick to it,

Walk the walk Chuck. ;-)

On Jan 28, 8:08�pm, "JimH" wrote:
"Chuck Gould" wrote in oglegroups.com...

On Jan 28, 1:20?pm, "NOYB" wrote:

Who cares. It's mostly Democrats up that way anyhow. I'm only interested
if this sudden surge in suicides help to make Washington a Red State.You wouldn't feel that way, NOYB, if you really understood our

political mix up here. Those Democrats who jump from the bridge? By
local standards they're considered *conservatives*. *:-)

++++++++++++++++++++++

No matter how I spin it I cannot find a boating related spin to your reply.

You jump on folks for posting OT yet it is OK for you to do the exact thing
you bitch about................????

Time for you to take a stand and stick to it,

Walk the walk Chuck. *;-)

Get thee to a dictionary and look up "humor". :-)

A discussion of a bridge over a major waterway, including its history
and incidental facts relating to it isn't as far OT as you might
think. It's the sort of thing you might discuss if you were showing a
visitor around by boat and that person asked, "What about this huge
bridge?"

When NOYB posts a joke that he doesn't care about the folks jumping
from the bridge because he figures they're mostly Democrats and I joke
back that up this way a Democrat is what passes for a "conservative",
that's pretty unlikely to start a flame war.

Some people make the mistake of taking this group far too seriously.
I'm glad that you're not among them.

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
oups.com...

On Jan 28, 8:08?pm, "JimH" wrote:
"Chuck Gould" wrote in
oglegroups.com...

On Jan 28, 1:20?pm, "NOYB" wrote:

[...]

Years ago, one the Golden Gate Bridge jumpers landed on the bow of a fishing
party boat. Screwed up that day of fishing. At least no one was on the bow
when the jumper hit.

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
oups.com...

On Jan 28, 8:08?pm, "JimH" wrote:
"Chuck Gould" wrote in
oglegroups.com...

On Jan 28, 1:20?pm, "NOYB" wrote:

Who cares. It's mostly Democrats up that way anyhow. I'm only interested
if this sudden surge in suicides help to make Washington a Red State.You
wouldn't feel that way, NOYB, if you really understood our

political mix up here. Those Democrats who jump from the bridge? By
local standards they're considered *conservatives*. :-)

++++++++++++++++++++++

No matter how I spin it I cannot find a boating related spin to your
reply.

You jump on folks for posting OT yet it is OK for you to do the exact
thing
you bitch about................????

Time for you to take a stand and stick to it,

Walk the walk Chuck. ;-)

Get thee to a dictionary and look up "humor". :-)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I did not know you had a sense of humor........I thought it was all about
boats with you.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Some people make the mistake of taking this group far too seriously.
I'm glad that you're not among them.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yes, you do take this NG far too seriously Chuck. ;-)

On Jan 29, 5:33�am, "JimH" wrote:
"Chuck Gould" wrote in ooglegroups.com...

On Jan 28, 8:08?pm, "JimH" wrote:

"Chuck Gould" wrote in
oglegroups.com...

On Jan 28, 1:20?pm, "NOYB" wrote:

[...]

Yes, you do take this NG far too seriously Chuck. *;-)- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Glad to see you're on the mend, Jim. You'll be back to your old self
in short order. :-)

JLH JLH is offline

On 29 Jan 2007 08:00:25 -0800, "Chuck Gould"
wrote:

On Jan 29, 5:33?am, "JimH" wrote:
"Chuck Gould" wrote in ooglegroups.com...

On Jan 28, 8:08?pm, "JimH" wrote:

"Chuck Gould" wrote in
oglegroups.com...

On Jan 28, 1:20?pm, "NOYB" wrote:

[...]