Default test a bilge pump

Chuck and Jim,
Thanks. I can just manage to handle the pump because it's so crowded, I put
it where the original pump was, but that was much smaller. I may relocate
the pump, using a side mount holder, to the inside of the transom where
there's a little more space. The bilge is a little deeper there, too: I
don't think I noticed when I bought it, that the automatic function didn't
work until there was over 2" of water.
I'm a trailer boater and only get to leave my boat in the water about once a
year. But I wanted the auto function because I use the boat with the Coast
Guard Auxiliary for 8 hour patrols and have to remove the engine box to see
if there's anything in the bilge. With the auto function properly wired, the
pump will come on when necessary, and if we don't hear the water being
pumped out, we'll see the red light on the switch illuminate. I only take on
about a pint of water in 8 hours, and haven't been able to find out where
it's coming from.

"Jim" wrote in message ...

"Bill Andersen" wrote in message
OK, I have a Rule-Mate 750 (the biggest pump I could get that would
connect to my existing 3/4" hose), It has an enclosed float switch; I
think it has three wires: black, brown, brown/white. I have a West Marine
Three-Way Panel Switch with fuse. I think I may have to remove the pump
housing from the base, which is screwed to the deck, to manually check
the operation of the float.
I'll probably go to West Marine tomorrow and check one out on the shelf.

Now we're cookin'. First do what gould said to test the float. Tipping the
pump upside down should do the trick.

As far as the wiring goes, Black goes to the battery neg. or under a bolt
or screw on the engine.

Brown is the manual on connection. That must go to switched 12V. on the
console

Brown/white is the float switch power. There are 2 ways to deal with it.
You can wire it to the battery pos. through a waterproof inline fuse. Or
run the wire to the console and hook it up to the 3 way pump switch. Folks
will argue which way to do it, but I prefer going straight to the battery
because you can't inadvertantly shut the automatic side down. If you have
to disable the pump for some reason, you can always pull the fuse.
Jim

den den is offline

Bill Andersen wrote:
OK, I have a Rule-Mate 750 (the biggest pump I could get that would connect
to my existing 3/4" hose), It has an enclosed float switch; I think it has
three wires: black, brown, brown/white. I have a West Marine Three-Way Panel
Switch with fuse. I think I may have to remove the pump housing from the
base, which is screwed to the deck, to manually check the operation of the
float.
I'll probably go to West Marine tomorrow and check one out on the shelf.

Almost everybody is showing a link except you Bill. Any how here is my
2CW.

http://www.shipstore.com/SS/HTML/RUL/RULRM750.html

You are correct. Split it from its base, and tickle the hidden
(protected) mercury float switch.
Can't you use a garden hose instead of driving around town?

Den 48ftYF 18ft Bassboat 12ft GuppySailboat (the funnest one of all)

I keep the trailered boat in an RV/Boat Storage parking lot at the marina.
It's very convenient: the launch ramp is less than a block one way and the
wash rack is one block the other way.

"den" wrote in message
ups.com...

Bill Andersen wrote:
[...]

Clear corrugated suction hose (was) Bilge Pump Upgrade Pete C Cruising 12 March 10th 06 02:59 AM
Adding an electrical bilge pump [email protected] Cruising 15 February 4th 06 08:03 PM
Propane Sniffer Meltdown aroostifer Cruising 13 June 9th 05 01:58 PM
Bilge pump switch Kalico Cruising 13 May 25th 05 03:30 PM
Bilge Pump Switch dboyd Electronics 0 October 22nd 03 03:06 AM