Default Boat description and advance warning:

Advance warning: The following paragraphs describe a new boat that is
(like all new boats) being offered for sale by a dealer. Anybody likely
to be offended by any mention of a commercially available new vessel is
invited to close the thread at this point and move on. Thanks.

*************

Bring on the Pineapple Express!

Depending upon just how the hairs are split, there's a good case to
be made for Whatcom County's SeaSport Boat Company as the oldest,
continuously operated manufacturer of fiberglass boats in the United
States. Sea Sport began building fiberglass skiffs to be sold in Sears
Roebuck stores back in 1955. There were some fiberglass boats built
prior to 1955, but only a handful of manufacturers have built one or
more fiberglass boats each and every year since the 1950's. Said a
SeaSport spokesperson, "Some people qualified to render an opinion do
say we are the oldest fiberglass boat manufacturer in the industry.
Some others disagree, but we never appear any farther down the list
than second or third according to most authorities."

The honor of being a pioneer in the industry is nice, (and the
corporate experience with fiberglass technology an enormous asset), but
the exciting news about SeaSport has very little to do with anything
built over 50 years ago. We joined Greg Little, Jason Reid, and Lyle
Jansma of BoonDocks Boats and Motors for an astonishing sea trial on a
stormy Bellingham Bay in November of 2006, and could not avoid being
impressed with the flagship of the SeaSport fleet, the Pacific 3200.

Our first sea trial appointment was scuttled. A rip roaring jet stream
from Hawaii, (the "pineapple express"), had slammed into Western
Washington. As we were preparing to drive from Seattle to Bellingham we
got a call from Lyle Jansma. "We think we're going to call it off
for today. We have sustained winds well over 40 knots, with gusts to
over 60. With all of the flying spray there's enough smoke on the
water to seriously reduce visibility. It would be hard to really show
off everything the boat can do under those conditions, so why don't
we put this off until next week?" We rescheduled for a day when
Bellingham Bay proved to be only slightly calmer. I realized after a
few minutes aboard that BoonDocks' consternation about the rough
conditions on the previously appointed date must have had more to do
with questions about a magazine writer's seaworthiness than any
doubts about the SeaSport Pacific 3200's ability to weather a storm
and thrive on the challenge.

General Description and Specifications

SeaSport offers ten different models that range from 22-32 feet LOA.
Each boat in the line is individually drawn and designed, rather than a
"stretched" or "chopped down" version of a hull better suited
for a boat of a different length. In fact, the Pacific 3200 is the only
catamaran SeaSport builds. The management at SeaSport apparently
doesn't feel that every boat "should be" a monohull or "should
be" a multihull, but instead approach the question from the
perspective of choosing the ideal hull technology for a boat of a
particular size and application.

The catamaran design allows SeaSport to describe the Pacific 3200 as a
"deep vee, planning hull." A visit to the SeaSport factory on the
outskirts of Bellingham allowed us to view SeaSport boats in various
stages of completion, where we confirmed that the structural integrity
of the designs and the meticulous workmanship apparent in the final
product is among the better examples to be found in this category.
SeaSport has always been a hand-laid, hand-rolled boat but during the
past few years the company has been expanding the use of
state-of-the-art vacuum infusion molding. The small components and
sections manufactured with the infusion molding process at SeaSport
have proven to be stronger, lighter, and more consistent than even the
most skillfully hand-laid parts and in early 2007 SeaSport plans to
begin using the vacuum infusion process for entire hulls.

The 3200 features a broad, almost blunt bow that creates as much space
on the foredeck as many boats feature in the cockpit. As we would
confirm with experience, there is adequate bow flare to ensure a
surprisingly dry ride in challenging seas. SeaSport was among the first
catamaran builders to incorporate a "nacelle" between the forward
sections of the port and starboard hulls. The nacelle is shaped
something like a third hull would be, but extends only several inches
from the main structure of the vessel. Many catamaran hulls incorporate
essentially flat surfaces in that area between the upper portions of
the two hulls, and two of the traditional "disadvantages"
stereotypically associated with catamaran hulls can be attributed to
earlier boats built by builders not bothering to include a nacelle.
Some "flat cats" have been criticized for allowing too great an air
cushion to build up under the forward portions, and as the air cushion
periodically collapses some flat cats tend to return to the surface
with a resounding (and not entirely comforting) slam. Many catamarans
have a tendency to "sneeze" spray and water forward when coming off
a wave. The nacelle essentially divides the surface between the hulls
into a pair of tunnels, and allows the SeaSport 3200 to operate at
higher speeds without the infamous slamming and sneezing associated
with some of the other brands.

Most of the smaller SeaSport boats are configured as pilothouse boats
designed for offshore fishing expeditions and are popular choices for
among sport fishermen and charter operators. The intermediate sizes in
the product line progressively introduce greater amounts of cabin
comforts, conveniences, and accommodations. The Pacific 3200 is a
full-fledged family cruiser that hasn't forgotten how to fish, and
the wide flat side decks with hefty stainless rails allow anyone
carrying a line and a fender or battling a trophy salmon easy and
secure transit along the length of the boat.

The 88 sq. ft. cockpit is both fishing and family friendly. High
bulwarks, built in fish holds and bait tanks, and a wide cap rail where
downriggers and rod holders can be confidently installed will be
appreciated by anglers. Our test boat had an auxiliary wheel and engine
controls in the starboard forequarter of the cockpit, allowing even the
skipper to be close to the action when the bite is on. A fully
appointed flybridge helm with uncrowded seating for six or seven
persons will be the preferred command station when it is sunny and
pleasant, while a lower helm with the wheel on centerline will provide
an option for remaining warm and dry when the weather is not.

Specifications:

LOA: 32'2"
Beam: 12' 10"
Draft: (with drive down) 40"
Draft: (with drive up) 28"
Fuel: 300 USG
Water: 60 USG
Holding tank: 32 USG
Displacement (dry) 16,000 lb
Cabin headroom: 6'6"

The SeaSport Pacific 3200 can be powered with twin diesel stern drives
or inboards.

Interior and Amenities

SeaSport builds the 3200 as a semi-custom boat and offers no fewer than
six "suggested" interior layouts. If a buyer doesn't find his or
her ideal boat represented among the six choices, SeaSport will go back
to the drawing board with the buyer's wish list and make any
alterations possible without compromising structural integrity.
According to a SeaSport spokesperson, "We can make the interior as
industrial or as elegant as a buyer wants. We have sold this model with
a spatter paint interior and a couple of bench seats for use as a
charter boat in the Gulf of Alaska, but most of our customers
appreciate our custom, in house, teak and hardwood joinery as well as
comfortable and accommodating furnishings."

Our test boat was configured with a raised, convertible dinette in the
aft starboard quarter of the cabin, opposite a galley that ran along
the port side of the main cabin. Two refrigerator/freezers were built
in, one under the aft portion of the dinette and the other below the
dual helmseat fixture. The exceptional headroom and large, bright
aluminum framed windows create a feeling of open space in the main
cabin, and with almost 13 feet of beam there is a lot more room to move
about freely than one normally expects to find on a 32-foot boat.
SeaSport craftspeople do a notable job with the teak interior, with
select grain veneers instilling a touch of class in the staterooms and
main cabin. Drawers and locker doors are skillfully constructed and
hand finished.

An easily cleaned, one-piece molded head with shower is located in the
port hull, and a surprisingly commodious starboard master stateroom is
accessed down a short set of steps from the pilothouse. One of our few
"knocks" on the Pacific 3200 might be an observation that passage
between the pilothouse and the master stateroom is a bit tight, and
that when the lower helm is in use anyone attempting to get into or out
of the stateroom must squeeze between the pilot's knees and the
wheel. There's no such thing as a perfect boat, of course, and in
response to a comment about what seemed (to us) to be an awkward
arrangement we were quickly assured that some of the six available
layouts address the issue of access to the master stateroom entirely
differently. A second stateroom, (technically more of a quarter berth),
is located under the dinette so with the dinette converted into a
double bunk there are sleeping accommodations for 5-6 aboard the
SeaSport Pacific 3200.

Underway:

The winds had subsided somewhat on the morning of our sea trial, but
conditions on Bellingham Bay were far from inviting. We only noticed
one other vessel on the water that day- a commercial fishboat that
seemed rather intent upon making port. Record rainfall had spread a
layer of muddy, fresh river water over the traditional steel grey
surface of the winter harbor. A brisk southern breeze, an incoming
tide, shallow depths in the northern reaches of Bellingham Bay and a
tumultuous outflow from Whatcom Creek generated a foreboding washboard
of steep, short period chop. We would be facing row upon row of 4-6
foot standing waves, with capricious breezes stripping mares' tails
from the peaks. It was one of those days when most people with a choice
would remain in the harbor.

Our test boat was equipped with a pair of 300HP Volvo diesels and stern
drives. From a cold start, the Volvos fired up with quickly and clean.
Getting away from the dock was a breeze, as the wide spacing of the
opposing outdrives seemed almost to "spin" the boat rather than
turn it. With Greg Little at the helm we nosed out from behind the
Squalicum Harbor breakwater to test whether there was any proof in the
SeaSport pudding.

After Greg throttled up, I couldn't help noticing that the ride was
just a bit bumpy. "Oh, well," I thought. "What can you expect
under these conditions? Most boats would be slowed to 4 or 5 knots,
burying the bow in every one of these waves, and have spray flying over
the cabin top with every impact. We're cutting along quite nicely,
considering the sea state, and I'll bet we're doing at least 10
knots or better."

I asked Greg for his tachometer reading and then consulted the GPS. I
was astonished to discover that we were making 20 knots! Even in
conditions that would keep most boaters off the water, the SeaSport
3200 turned impressive cruising speeds while maintaining an extremely
civilized ride. Nor would the lumpy water prevent the fully loaded and
fueled 3200 from stretching her legs. We recorded speeds of 23 knots at
3100 rpm, 25.3 knots at 3200 rpm, and were even able to run at wide
open throttle through the foaming and churning crests long enough to
establish that at 3650 rpm we made 30.3 knots (upwind).

Catamarans are known to be very capable performers in head seas, but we
took seas on all quarters and at high speeds as we put the SeaSport
3200 through its trial. At least as far as most monohull boaters are
concerned, some catamarans lean the "wrong way" in high speed
turns. The SeaSport Pacific 3200 doesn't seem to lean much at all,
either direction, even in the tightest turns at the highest speeds and
in some pretty nasty conditions.

From time to time we had a bit of spray on the windshield. I noted that

in most cases the spray was blowing aboard when waves broke against the
port or starboard quarters, rather than being splashed up from the bow.
In a situation where many boats would have the wipers running non-stop
to try to maintain visibility, we seldom used the wipers for more than
the random pass or two across the windshield.

Perhaps the most telling test of all occurred when we came to a
deliberate stop, positioned with the wind and waves on the starboard
beam. Frankly, there are boats in which I would be entirely nervous
about drifting without power and taking a series of 4-6 foot beam seas.
The SeaSport 3200 stepped over the waves, one hull at a time. It can
most certainly be said that the boat "rocked" in that situation,
but nowhere nearly as dramatically as one would expect from most
monohulls. It was apparent after 30 seconds or so that the SeaSport
3200 could have happily maintained that position far longer than most
people (including yours truly) would be comfortable attempting.

It would be tough to identify even a single disappointing aspect of the
SeaSport's performance, even under far worse than "average"
conditions.

Conclusions:

After such a memorable sea trial, we couldn't avoid being impressed
with the SeaSport 3200. Catamaran technology is really catching on in
the small family cruiser and fishboat sectors, and with a number of
well made boats available Pacific NW shoppers have a plethora of
choices. We believe that ever increasing numbers of boaters will
consider catamarans when shopping for a boat, and anyone in search of a
32-foot vessel that will function admirably as both a fishing platform
and a family vessel for weekend and summer vacation adventures would be
well advised to put the SeaSport 3200 on the list of boats to consider
very carefully. Much like the discussion regarding the oldest
continuous manufacturer of fiberglass powerboats, some shoppers will
conclude that SeaSport is at the top of the list and the ideal boat for
their needs, and among those arriving at another conclusion it would
probably be unusual for SeaSport to finish any farther down their lists
than second or third. This is a very good boat that is well worth
investigating. If a shopper is lucky enough, he or she will catch a
ride in the frothing wake of the Pineapple Express and really get to
experience the capabilities of the SeaSport 3200.

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
ps.com...

Bring on the Pineapple Express!

Our test boat was equipped with a pair of 300HP Volvo diesels and stern
drives. From a cold start, the Volvos fired up with quickly and clean.

We recorded speeds of 23 knots at
3100 rpm, 25.3 knots at 3200 rpm, and were even able to run at wide
open throttle through the foaming and churning crests long enough to
establish that at 3650 rpm we made 30.3 knots (upwind).

What model Volvo diesel engines did this boat have? It seems they have
upped the max RPM considerably in the past few years. My older (6 year old)
Volvo TAMD-63P's (370 hp ea.) are only rated at 2800 RPM at WOT.

Eisboch

"Eisboch" wrote in message

What model Volvo diesel engines did this boat have? It seems they have
upped the max RPM considerably in the past few years. My older (6 year
old) Volvo TAMD-63P's (370 hp ea.) are only rated at 2800 RPM at WOT.

Eisboch

Also ... any fuel burn rate (at cruise) numbers, estimated or measured for
this setup?

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 07:47:43 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

On 12/8/2006 7:08 AM, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Fri, 8 Dec 2006 06:51:38 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

"Eisboch" wrote in message
What model Volvo diesel engines did this boat have? It seems they have
upped the max RPM considerably in the past few years. My older (6 year
old) Volvo TAMD-63P's (370 hp ea.) are only rated at 2800 RPM at WOT.
Also ... any fuel burn rate (at cruise) numbers, estimated or measured for
this setup?
Wanna take a trip out west and test one of these babies for ourselves?

We could take Chuck along and show him how it's done back East. :)

NOTE: Just pulling your leg Chuck.

It would be an interesting exercise. Instead of an advertorial, we might
end up with an article that discusses a boat in terms good, bad, and ugly.

Chuck has a job to do and he does it well.

No complaints from me.

Tom,
I agree with you, Chuck writes the article as part of his job, and posts
it here as a vehicle to discuss boats. As we have seen in this post, it
gives the group an opportunity to discuss the good, the bad and the ugly
about the boat.

On 7 Dec 2006 22:03:14 -0800, "Chuck Gould"
wrote:

[...]

From time to time we had a bit of spray on the windshield. I noted that

[...]

Nicely written, Chuck. I'm not a cat fan, but I've admired the SeaSport
monohulls for a while. Here's a web site with some pictures:

http://www.seasportboats.com/ss1pgs/pacificcat.html

***** Have a super day! *****

John

Eisboch wrote:

What model Volvo diesel engines did this boat have? It seems they have
upped the max RPM considerably in the past few years. My older (6 year old)
Volvo TAMD-63P's (370 hp ea.) are only rated at 2800 RPM at WOT.

Eisboch

D6 Volvos are rated for 3500 RPM. We got a reading of 3650 at WOT,
(indicating we were very likely under-propped).

Eisboch wrote:
"Eisboch" wrote in message

What model Volvo diesel engines did this boat have? It seems they have
upped the max RPM considerably in the past few years. My older (6 year
old) Volvo TAMD-63P's (370 hp ea.) are only rated at 2800 RPM at WOT.

Eisboch

Also ... any fuel burn rate (at cruise) numbers, estimated or measured for
this setup?

No. I normally record fuel burn numbers on vessels where there is
already technology aboard for the purpose, but my publication doesn't
install, remove, or adjust *anything* during one of these test runs-
and that would include a fuel monitor. Sometimes I report
fuel burn numbers claimed or stated by a third party, and indicate that
a third party was the source of the information. In this particular
case, there wasn't really any fuel burn info available so there is none
in my report.

Harry Krause wrote:

It would be an interesting exercise. Instead of an advertorial, we might
end up with an article that discusses a boat in terms good, bad, and ugly.

You'd have to call that an editorial, not an "advertorial".

Given a factual account and some photos, it is up to the reader to
decided if particular aspects of the boat are "good or bad" and whether
or not the boat is "ugly".

I happen to like the looks well enough, but that's because I'm west
coast centric. You guys from the eastern seaboard typically salivate
all over "picnic" and "lobster" boats- a style that is attractive
enough in its own right, but has yet to catch on in any signficant way
in the Pacific NW. Maybe boats are sort of like women. If you lived in
a society where a woman was expected to be able to buck hay all day,
handle a team of mules and a plow, split firewood, *and* raise a dozen
kids a broad shouldered 225 pound woman with heavy arms and big hips
would probably seem more attractive than such a person would probably
seem to most men in our wussified, post-modern era.

One of the ultimate eastern boats, Hinckley, is commonly referred to as
a "picnic" boat. Up in the NW, we build boats to go crabbing in
December- not just for a picnic cruise in August. :-)

Point being, good-looking and ugly are in the eyes of the beholder.
Most people think I'm pretty ugly. Most people are right. However, that
still doesn't make me ugly in *everybody's*
opinion, (just almost everybody). Stating that a boat is beautiful, or
not, brings up an issue of personal taste, and taste will be subjective.

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 07:04:43 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

The funny thing is that SeaSport makes some decent looking pilothouse
monohulls, but you don't see many of them around here. Actually, I don't
recall seeing any.

You don't see a lot of cats around here. Guys I fish with don't like
them because of beam sea instability. They are great running hell
bend for leather through a head sea, but the ones that I've run seem
to have excessive rolling in a beam sea and as for running with a
stern sea - forget it.

In my opinion, which isn't worth much I'll readily admit, they are
built for going forward - not much else.

My observations about cats in general after being underway in a half
dozen or so different makes:

Head seas: Cat designs handle steep, short period chop with ease; the
seas that slow most boats to a crawl and still beat the living snot out
of everybody aboard. This is the "best" running angle for a cat, but
not the only good one.

Beam seas: Less rocking than most monohulls. One heck of a lot less
than my trawler.

Following seas: Underway isn't a problem. The speed of a typical cat is
faster than the
motion of the waves, and there is no huge slab of a transom for the
waves to put pressure against. Drifting without power, the boat is
likely to turn its beam to the wind- but how is that different than
most monohulls?

There are some reasons I won't ever be replacing my personal boat with
a catamaran, but they have a lot to do with personal preference and
nothing at all to do with any aspect of a well built catamaran being
less seaworthy.