Default Intro and question/opinions please

Hi all,

Have been lurking here for a while and you seem to be a knowledgeable
lot!

Anyway, I have a life-long desire to cruise the islands of the
Caribbean.

I have taken a basic safety and boat-knowledge course, and have had some
experience in small (17') motor boats. Of course I'd rather learn to
sail and do it that way but it doesn't seem do-able due to a bypass op
four years ago, I have little upper body strength, so have decided to
try a 40'+ diesel trawler/cruiser-type boat..

I live in New Orleans.

The boat would have to cope with two people (Me and the wife).

I have read about the need for hard-copy charts and flares here - thanks
a lot - have that all in the memory banks.

Does a boat have to be in perfect condition to be able to island hop? I
read that such and such boat 'needs some soft spots addressed' and,
without actually going to look at the boat, am a little put off by
something less than perfect condition! But my car runs even tho there
are things that need to be addressed etc..

The thing is, do I need years of experience to simply buy a suitable
boat and just 'do it'? Or am I being a bit simple?

I am resourceful, relatively intelligent, an engineer by trade and want
another adventure - as if Katrina wasn't enough!

All advice gratefully received.

Molesworth.

Molesworth wrote:
[...]

Lots of people charter a boat down there...either with a captain or bare.

In article ,
Don White wrote:

Molesworth wrote:
[...]

That might do for a 'taster' as it were, but I was thinking of 1-2 years
cruising..

Thanks tho'

Molesworth

It's probably worth the cost to charter for a couple weeks as a vacation to
find out more. The last thing you want to do is get a couple hundred grand
tied up in liveaboard crusier and equipment and then have you or your wife
decide it's not your cup of tea.