posted to uk.rec.boats.motor,rec.boats

Default Dehumidifier

I am sure I saw an add some years back for a small dehumidifier that
you can put under a cover of a boat in the winter - stop mould, damp
etc.
Anybody know of one - European preferable for 220V 50Hz, but would also
be OK if a 12V version.

I have seen 'heaters' to sue under covers, which claim to keep boat
above dew point .... anybody know if they work well, would assume a
unit that keeps air dry would be better choice, than one that just
keeps it warm.

posted to uk.rec.boats.motor,rec.boats

Are you shrink wrapping or using a tarp?

Well, it doesn't matter I guess. I wash the boat, open all the
cabinets, make sure the drains are clear, put vents front and rear at
the top of either the tarp or shrink wrap and just leave it at that.

I use a standard tarp during the usage months - last year put it in
garage over winter with a breathable cover - elasticated edge, like a
large shower cap.
Just thought it worth looking at dehumidifiers, I saw an add some time
ago (maybe Overtons) that had a complete bubble cover (like the ones
for cars) and this had a dehumidifier under it.

Boat is a closed bow outboard powered runabout.

posted to uk.rec.boats.motor,rec.boats

On 22 Nov 2006 13:29:12 -0800, "Osprey"
wrote:

Are you shrink wrapping or using a tarp?

Well, it doesn't matter I guess. I wash the boat, open all the
cabinets, make sure the drains are clear, put vents front and rear at
the top of either the tarp or shrink wrap and just leave it at that.

I use a standard tarp during the usage months - last year put it in
garage over winter with a breathable cover - elasticated edge, like a
large shower cap.
Just thought it worth looking at dehumidifiers, I saw an add some time
ago (maybe Overtons) that had a complete bubble cover (like the ones
for cars) and this had a dehumidifier under it.

Boat is a closed bow outboard powered runabout.

No good at all unless you can seal the boat away completely. Same with
those stupid crystal things. Just get a decent tarp, and let it
breathe.

posted to uk.rec.boats.motor,rec.boats

"Osprey" wrote in message
oups.com...

Are you shrink wrapping or using a tarp?

Well, it doesn't matter I guess. I wash the boat, open all the
cabinets, make sure the drains are clear, put vents front and rear at
the top of either the tarp or shrink wrap and just leave it at that.

I use a standard tarp during the usage months - last year put it in
garage over winter with a breathable cover - elasticated edge, like a
large shower cap.
Just thought it worth looking at dehumidifiers, I saw an add some time
ago (maybe Overtons) that had a complete bubble cover (like the ones
for cars) and this had a dehumidifier under it.

Boat is a closed bow outboard powered runabout.

Why tarp it if it is in your garage???

JimH wrote:

Why tarp it if it is in your garage???

Kepp it clean, keep out dust, keep out the cat ...and wife would soon
start dumping any of my ski or dive kit in it if it were open !