posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default Shame and debasement

"Frogwatch" wrote in news:1164000104.521584.101920
@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

I probably should go make amends.

No problem. The mall diamond stores open at 9AM, right on time....

Larry
--
Halloween candy sure has dropped in price, lately!
posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Frogwatch wrote:
Vic Smith wrote:

On 19 Nov 2006 20:53:52 -0800, "
wrote:

Don White wrote:

wrote:
snip..
They tow us to the dock

and I go to pay. By this time I was seriously happy to be off the boat
with my wife so even *the astonishing cost of $480* didn't faze me
much. It was $10/ft for the ungrounding (28' sailboat) and then $165
minimum and a couple other fees.

snip...

Whoo hoo! Around here the Coast Guard...or some friendly boater will
always come to the rescue...for free.

Re-thinking this, I regret posting it. It has me blaming my wife for
my predicament when I had nobody but myslf to blame. If I had
displayed much more confidence and a fun atitude I could probably have
talked my wife into enjoying the overnight grounding. Unfortunately, I
consider sailing to be an excercise in problem solving so I do not sail
for the same reasons she does. I DID invite her. I apologize.

Well, you had me convinced you were right the first time, and now
you've convinced me again. Have you considered sales?
I do like the second convincing more.

--Vic

I think I have gotten too confident in problem solving without taking
into account the human dimension. This is probably why I enjoy single
handed sailing.
The solution would really have been to wait. There was no danger
although it is supposed to hit 30 degrees tonight. With two cell
phones, nobody would have to worry about us. Even if the wind direcion
did not change and I was unable to rig a fuel feed. SOMEBODY would be
coming down that channel on Monday.
I sulked the entire night after it happened cuz it really hurt my
pride. I probably should go make amends.

See ya.

Depends on the tides also. If you have a keel boat and the tides fall
three or more feet, you could have had a very uncomfortable night.

"Frogwatch" wrote:
Vic Smith wrote:
wrote:

Don White wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Yeah, it's Soooo much fun going for a pleasure sail and
having to bust one's balls tacking and rebuilding engines
when all you were wanting to do was relax before hitting the
weekly grind the next day.

Godivas are good:^)

Seahag

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"katy" wrote in message
Don White wrote:

David OHara

I'm really glad you posted this and htat I read it before

ripping you a
new one that would have been the size of the

GrandCanyon...

When I was younger, I blamed everything on my wife, too. But
now I'm more mature, or is it 'trained'.

Scotty

Scotty wrote:
"katy" wrote in message

Don White wrote:

David OHara

I'm really glad you posted this and htat I read it before

ripping you a

new one that would have been the size of the

GrandCanyon...

When I was younger, I blamed everything on my wife, too. But
now I'm more mature, or is it 'trained'.

Scotty

....trained....you'll do almost anything for a Ritz cracker with squirty
cheese on it...
posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
DSK DSK is offline

wrote:
snip..
They tow us to the dock

and I go to pay. By this time I was seriously happy to be off the boat
with my wife so even *the astonishing cost of $480* didn't faze me
much. It was $10/ft for the ungrounding (28' sailboat) and then $165
minimum and a couple other fees.

snip...

That's how they make their money. Often people are so
torqued up they'll pay ANY price, even salvage.

Don White wrote:
Whoo hoo! Around here the Coast Guard...or some friendly boater will
always come to the rescue...for free.

Our Coast Guard seems to have better things to do these
days. They will not tow a boat unless there is risk to life,
and even then they usually just yank everybody off.

wrote:
Re-thinking this, I regret posting it. It has me blaming my wife for
my predicament when I had nobody but myslf to blame.

I didn't read it that way.

.... If I had
displayed much more confidence and a fun atitude I could probably have
talked my wife into enjoying the overnight grounding.

Now you're thinking. Pretend it's one of those "oops, we're
umm out of gas" moments.

.... Unfortunately, I
consider sailing to be an excercise in problem solving so I do not sail
for the same reasons she does. I DID invite her. I apologize.

Sounds to me as though you are determined to be a
singlehander, and work to justify it. It's OK! It's allowed!
You sound like the kind of person who cannot enjoy relaxing,
and your wife is probably very well aware of this.

Making amends is not a bad idea... flowers or perhaps a
night out at her favorite restaurant.

In any event, *if* she ever goes sailing with you again,
make a note to yourself:
1- don't cause yourself problems to enjoy solving... PAY
****ING ATTENTION!
2- Pretend you're relaxing and having a good time, maybe
she'll realize you're faking it (women aren't stupid about
such things) but she'll appreciate it anyway.
3- Try to let her get some enjoyment out of the occasion,
whatever it is that she enjoys.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Joe Joe is offline

wrote:
Don White wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Good re-thinking David. First off, your engine problem was your fault,
second, you ran aground. 3rd, you should have jumped in and swam out
with the anchor, dove down and planted it deep so you could kedge
yourself off. 4th at the time you ran aground the tide was changing and
you would have been free in an hour or two, you could have given your
daughter a fishing pole and headed below with your wife to pass the
time. 5th you are right, getting fustrated at the wife for messing up
the tacks was un called for, I'd kept sailing in circles all night
until she got it right, laughing and slamming down a shot of
jeagermiester every time she got it wrong, Remeber the only difference
for adversity and adventure is attitude.

Joe

Joe wrote:

3rd, you should have jumped in and swam out
with the anchor, dove down and planted it deep so you could kedge
yourself off.

....swam out with the anchor...?

-rick- wrote:
Joe wrote:

3rd, you should have jumped in and swam out
with the anchor, dove down and planted it deep so you could kedge
yourself off.

...swam out with the anchor...?

Easy - you just a cushion or pfd for flotation.