Tim Tim is offline

Default Quicksilver shift cable engine cutout dilemma

Eisboch wrote:
The same guy came to me one day with, believe it or not, a 6 volt hotplate
that he dug out of his pile of junk someplace. It must have been built in
the '40's or earlier. He wanted me to design and build a voltage divider so
he could run it on his 12 volt boat battery. Remembering the well
intentioned refrigeration guy, I told him to take a hike.

You get what you pay for.

Eisboch

"You get what you pay for"

And if you had tinkered with his stuff, and it didn't work, you would
have payed for it dearly.

good call!

"Jim" wrote
Spend a few hundred to eliminate the liability issues you would have to
deal with if you crash into another boat and cause personal injury,
because of a missed shift.

As an additional precaution, it might be wise to avoid placing one's self in
such situations as "floating toward a parked Glastron at 10 knots" and where
the only way to "avoid collision with docks, shorelines and other boats" is
flawless mechanical operation. (I'm picturing a scene from PT-109.)

http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth/shift1.html
JR

Kilgore Trout wrote:
This topic may have been done to death already, apologies for this repeat.

I've got a Mercruiser 130hp carburated 4.0L 4-cyl inboard with the
Quicksilver shift cable system. When switching between forward and reverse
the shifter is supposed to be stopped in idle for a brief moment before
changing intp gear. Every so often when I do this the engine cuts right out
as the shifter goes into idle. This happens when docking or embarking,
often after a 10m lake haul, causing a mad scramble to restart the engine
and avoid collision with docks, shorelines and other boats. Except the
only way to prevent further stalls is to ram the shifter through the idle
without stopping, and not good for the drive. I know that the shift system
intentionally cuts the ignition spark for a millisecond to protect the
cables and drive gears from damage by a cutout switch on the switch plate,
and that there's a lower cable to the sterndrive and another between the
shift box and shift plate.

I don't know if I should pull the tools and try to fine tune the settings
and risk overlooking a critical tweak, discovery this fact floating toward a
parked Glastron at 10 knots, or take it to the marina?

I've gotten nowhere with this marina on this matter though, and I know that
the mechanic knows what the problem is. They just want me to come crawling
on hands on knees with a wad of dough.

KT

.. .

Kilgore Trout wrote:
[...]