Default More info on the Charts CD

Here is some additional information on the charts CD I mentioned a
couple of weeks ago.
Might make a great stocking stuffer for the holidays.
I looked at the West Coast version, but there is also a CD for the East
Coast.
Considering that it used to be commonplace to spend $15-30 for one
single chart, this really is a deal.

Follows:

We recently fielded a call from a gentleman named Mark Doyle. "Would
you like to know about our product?" he asked. "We have put all the
NOAA charts for the West Coast of the United States, Alaska, and the
Pacific Islands, all onto a single CD, readable in both PC or MAC
format, and compatible with virtually all of the computer navigation
software programs. In addition, the CD contains various government
publications such as Coast Pilots, Light Lists, and Chart #1. Oh, and
we also include trial versions of several PC software systems so that
folks who don't have a nav system on their PC can try out a few of
the industry leaders before making a final decision concerning which
system to purchase."

"Wow!" we replied. "That's a pretty ambitious CD. What does
that sell for? Maybe $150, or $200?"

"No, and that's what's so incredible about this product," said
Mark. "As a lot of people are probably aware, this year the
government began allowing the public to download raster navigation
charts free of charge. That only makes sense because the taxpayers'
money was spent to make these charts to begin with. Unfortunately,
trying to download, catalog, and organize an entire library of charts
can take an incredible amount of time. What's more, to stay up to
date the process really needs to be repeated once per year. Because the
charts are free to begin with, our customers are simply paying for the
downloading and cataloging service. The CD sells for $24.95"

"What? For $24.95 you provide every chart for the W Coast of the US,
Alaska, and the Pacific Islands, along with trial versions of different
software programs, light lists, and Coast Pilots? Heck, send us one!"

When the CD titled "Managing the Waterway" arrived from Mark's
company (semi-local productions LLC) we loaded it up onto the
editor's PC to explore the content. The CD does indeed contain
everything promised, including several versions of PC Nav systems.
The PC nav systems are all trial versions (with the exception of a
public domain program called "Sea Clear") and are either designed
to operate for a limited number of days after activation or have some
of the more interesting features disabled. Users will have a chance to
compare, hands on, several systems before identifying a particular
favorite and arranging to purchase a permanent or fully functional
licensed copy.

If we were to offer any criticism at all of "Managing the
Waterway," it might be that the CD is a bit light on step-by-step
instructions for getting the system set up. We began by downloading all
of the 184* series charts onto our hard drive and then downloading one
of the sample PC Nav systems. One of the menu selections on the nav
system screen was
"get charts" and a browse option was included. We browsed up the
folder containing all of the 184* series charts, and within less than
another minute we had every NOAA chart pertaining to the Pacific NW
available for planning purposes.

Not bad for $24.95!

Semi-local productions also offers (for a slightly greater price) an
even more comprehensive CD with every NOAA chart for the entire US.

Looking for a stocking stuffer or a useful gift appropriate for a
boating buddy this holiday season? Check out Managing the Waterway at
www.managingthewaterway.com

********************

Jim Jim is offline

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

P.S. Don't forget to mention Chuck's name when you place the order. I'm sure
he would appreciate it.

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 12:42:34 GMT, "Jim" wrote:

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Snippage

P.S. Don't forget to mention Chuck's name when you place the order. I'm sure
he would appreciate it.

I didn't see a place to do so on the order form, but it's a nice idea!

Jim wrote:

P.S. Don't forget to mention Chuck's name when you place the order. I'm sure
he would appreciate it.

Go ahead and order one, Jim. I don't make a cent on the sale of these
things, but if it isn't *exactly* as described I'll personally send you
a full refund.

Jim wrote:

P.S. Don't forget to mention Chuck's name when you place the order. I'm
sure
he would appreciate it.

Go ahead and order one, Jim. I don't make a cent on the sale of these
things, but if it isn't *exactly* as described I'll personally send you
a full refund.

Hmmmm...................

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
ups.com...
Here is some additional information on the charts CD I mentioned a
couple of weeks ago.
Might make a great stocking stuffer for the holidays.
I looked at the West Coast version, but there is also a CD for the East
Coast.
Considering that it used to be commonplace to spend $15-30 for one
single chart, this really is a deal.

Follows:

the rest of the shameless spam was snipped

When did your brother start this company Chuck?

JimH wrote:
"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
ups.com...

Here is some additional information on the charts CD I mentioned a
couple of weeks ago.
Might make a great stocking stuffer for the holidays.
I looked at the West Coast version, but there is also a CD for the East
Coast.
Considering that it used to be commonplace to spend $15-30 for one
single chart, this really is a deal.

Follows:

the rest of the shameless spam was snipped

When did your brother start this company Chuck?

Actually, it's not a bad little 'gig' Chuck has going for himself. A
little plug or promo here & there seems to bring truckloads of freebies.
If the products are as good as claimed, I suppose it could be a win win
situation.

Don White wrote:

Actually, it's not a bad little 'gig' Chuck has going for himself. A
little plug or promo here & there seems to bring truckloads of freebies.
If the products are as good as claimed, I suppose it could be a win win
situation.

I do get a bit of free stuff here and there. Most of it is completely
unsolicited, and in the vast majority of cases I'll never write a line
about it. Things that go unmentioned are small items that I can't
personally test out, things without an actual and practical value (i.e.
"new, revolutionary, curved profile fender brush") or things that
testing and inspection show do *not* live up to their billing.

Too bad you Canadians aren't more liberal with chart distribution. Lack
of BC charts leaves a "hole" in the middle of the Puget Sound to Alaska
cruising grounds favored by many boaters in this region, but for $25 a
Pac NW boater can have every US chart he or she will ever need.

On 14 Nov 2006 07:25:49 -0800, "Chuck Gould"
wrote:

for $25 a
Pac NW boater can have every US chart he or she will ever need.

That's a great deal since you can get them for nothing in exchange for
a little download time on your computer. I'd like to see the
Canadians improve upon that price since they seem to value their
charts very highly.