posted to rec.boats.paddle

Default You've got to be kidding, leaping carp?

Per riverman:
In fact, the solution to the snakehead and carp invasion in the US might be
to start advertising them as a game fish, and start putting them on menus.
Look what it did for tuna, cod and lobster. :-)

First thing, somebody's got to come up with
a sweeter-sounding name than "snakehead"..... -)
--
PeteCresswell
posted to rec.boats.paddle

Pete Cresswell wrote:

Per riverman:
In fact, the solution to the snakehead and carp invasion in the US might be
to start advertising them as a game fish, and start putting them on menus.
Look what it did for tuna, cod and lobster. :-)

First thing, somebody's got to come up with
a sweeter-sounding name than "snakehead"..... -)

The Latin name is Channa (marulius, micropeltes, lucius, striata, gachua).
That sounds pretty good! Reminds me of Chana Masala. Picture he

http://www.pattayafishing.com/freshwater.html

posted to rec.boats.paddle

"Bill Tuthill" wrote in message
Pete Cresswell wrote:

Per riverman:
In fact, the solution to the snakehead and carp invasion in the US might
be
to start advertising them as a game fish, and start putting them on
menus.
Look what it did for tuna, cod and lobster. :-)

First thing, somebody's got to come up with
a sweeter-sounding name than "snakehead"..... -)

The Latin name is Channa (marulius, micropeltes, lucius, striata, gachua).
That sounds pretty good! Reminds me of Chana Masala. Picture he

http://www.pattayafishing.com/freshwater.html

Ugh, I hate that site. I've seen it before.....the picture of the Giant
Mekong Catfish bugs the hell out of me. Those are incredibly old, incredibly
rare and incredibly at-risk fish, and its a crime that Pattaya Fishing
advertises that they will take you fishing for them.

That picture is of the largest freshwater fish ever caught and recorded.
Here's a story about the efforts to save these fish:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...ntcatfish.html

--riverman

posted to rec.boats.paddle

Pete Cresswell wrote:

[...]

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...5_giantcatfish
.html

The caption said that it was the largest *scaleless" fish and claims they
grow to 650 pounds and 10' long. The white sturgeon, according to several
sites can grow to 1500 pounds and 20' long and are technically scaleless.
They are also endangered.
posted to rec.boats.paddle

"John Fereira" wrote in message
.. .

Pete Cresswell wrote:

[...]

Well, then its only a matter of time until Pattaya Fishing starts outfitting
trips for them.

Interesting that they claim that the fish caught in northern Thailand might
have been the largest freshwater fish ever caught, as this site
http://www.fws.gov/Endangered/featur...eon/index.html claims that a
1500 pound white sturgeon was caught in 1898. Maybe it has something to do
with recordkeeping?

--riverman

posted to alt.fishing.catfish,rec.fishing,rec.boats.paddle

The makings of a new extreme sport. See the video at:

http://loserswithsocks.com/2007/05/2...a-to-see-this/

"Rodney Long" wrote in message
Garrison Hilliard wrote:
You've got to be kidding, leaping carp? From staff and wire reports

Associated Press
Silver carp, like this one in the Missouri River, were brought to
the United
States from Asia about 30 years ago.

ST. LOUIS - For years, boaters and fishermen on many midwestern
rivers have
battled a fish with a bizarre behavior: silver carp that launch
themselves into
the air, jumping into boats and often slapping the unsuspecting
upside the head.

Man I bet it would be a blast, to "blast" those things,, put someone
in the front of the boat with a shotgun, it would be like trap
shooting on the fly. But I bet it would not be legal in any state,,
too bad, it could really reduce their numbers
--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Mojo SpecTastic "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread,