Default E-10 Considerations Pertaining to Winter Layup

This morning's press release from Boat US:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Press Contact: Scott Croft, 703-461-2864,
Date: October 23, 2006

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT E-10 ETHANOL FUEL
AND WINTER BOAT LAYUP

This spring and with little prior notice, recreational boaters in most
parts of the country were introduced to gasoline containing higher
concentrations of ethanol, a corn-based additive that replaced a known
carcinogen, MTBE. The new fuel, dubbed "E-10" for its 10% ethanol
content, unfortunately has the ability to attract greater amounts of
water and "phase separate," or form two separate solutions in the gas
tank, usually over a long period of time. Once this happens, the engine
won't run and internal damage could occur.

With the lengthy winter lay up period upon us, many boaters are asking
how they should store their boat over the winter to prevent fuel
problems next year. The BoatU.S. damage prevention newsletter,
Seaworthy, tackles the problem in its October issue and has these
recommendations:

· Once phase separation occurs in E-10 gasoline, additives and
water separators can't help. The only remedy is to have the gas and
ethanol/water professionally removed from the tank.

· With any fuel that sits in a tank for a long time, it's important
to add a stabilizer. But understand that stabilizers do not prevent
phase separation.

· E-10 has been a fact of life in certain areas of the Midwest for
over a decade and there have been relatively few problems. The best
practical recommendation learned from marina operators in the region is
to top off a boat's fuel tanks to about 95% full, leaving room for
expansion. A tank that is almost full limits the flow of air into and
out of the vent, which reduces the chance of condensation adding water
to the fuel. Draining fuel tanks of E-10 gas, while completely
eliminating any chances of phase separation, is potentially dangerous
and an impractical solution.

· Whether you believe your boat's fuel tanks are half full or half
empty, leaving a tank partially filled is a bad move. A Midwest marina
owner confirmed that phase separation problems typically occurred when
boats were stored over the winter with tanks only one quarter to
one-half full. In the summer, infrequently used boats with partially
filled tanks are also prone to phase separation.

· Never try to plug up a fuel tank vent to prevent moist air from
entering a tank. Without room to expand, the additional pressure could
rupture fuel system components.

All BoatU.S. marine insurance policy holders get a free subscription to
Seaworthy. Subscriptions are also available for $10 a year (4 issues)
by going to BoatUS.com/seaworthy or by calling 800-262-8082, ext.
3276. If you'd like to get a free insurance quote for your boat, go to
http://BoatUS.com/Insurance or call 800-283-2883.

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 14:37:23 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

groups.com...

Date: October 23, 2006

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT E-10 ETHANOL FUEL
AND WINTER BOAT LAYUP

Gotta love those diesels!

When you find diesels that have the same efficiency as my E-TECs, let
me know. :)

E-TEC snob.

Eisboch

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 14:37:23 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

Many Diesels are facing a very serious problem as well with the new
formulation.

CWM

Haven't heard that. Can you elaborate? If you are talking about the new,
ultralow sulfur content fuel my limited research on the subject indicates
that there is no problem running older diesels on it. It had to be backwards
compatible. There are lots of rumors, like it doesn't have the proper
lubricating qualities and such, but it's all nonsense.

The new diesels designed to take advantage of the ultralow sulfur fuel will
have to meet very stringent emission requirements and will be more
sophisticated including the use of fine particulate filters. The older
truck and boat diesels don't need to meet those requirements.

Eisboch

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
oups.com...
This morning's press release from Boat US:

This release seems fact-based, as opposed to too many that simply scream
"we're doomed, the gas is awful!" For many boaters in the north the storage
period could be 6 months; will gasoline with a fuel stabilizer suffer phase
separation in that time? I think the answer is "no"; keep the tank full and
use fuel stabilizer.

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 16:25:50 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 14:37:23 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

Many Diesels are facing a very serious problem as well with the new
formulation.

CWM

Haven't heard that. Can you elaborate? If you are talking about the new,
ultralow sulfur content fuel my limited research on the subject indicates
that there is no problem running older diesels on it. It had to be
backwards
compatible. There are lots of rumors, like it doesn't have the proper
lubricating qualities and such, but it's all nonsense.

Engines made after 2006 can't use the new fuel. How's that gonna work?

CWM

Huh? Either you know something the rest of us don't know or you have it
backwards.
Engines manufactured in 2007 *have* to use the new fuel. They can't use the
old fuel.
Some truck manufacturers will be equipping 2007 model year vehicles with
2006 engines for a while until the fuel is readily available. I suspect
many boat manufacturers will do the same.
There's a upcoming date that the new fuel must be available.

Eisboch

:
[...]

Engines made after now can't use the *old* fuel, which is still
available, at least in some places. There should be a sticker on the
diesel pump that says whether it's low sulfur or not.

David

"David Scheidt" wrote in message

Charlie Morgan wrote:

:Engines made after 2006 can't use the new fuel. How's that gonna work?

Engines made after now can't use the *old* fuel, which is still
available, at least in some places. There should be a sticker on the
diesel pump that says whether it's low sulfur or not.

David

From what I've read there are different phase in dates for the ultra low
sulfur fuel.
For marine diesel engine fuel, the current "low sulfur" (500 ppm) becomes
mandatory in 2007.
The "ultra low (15 ppm) sulfur" fuel (which is now in use as of Oct 15th for
on road vehicles) will be required for marine diesel engines in 2012.

I am not sure what Charlie is referring to when he says "Engines made after
2006 can't use the new fuel."

Eisboch

: Charlie Morgan wrote:

:
: :Engines made after 2006 can't use the new fuel. How's that gonna work?
:

: Engines made after now can't use the *old* fuel, which is still
: available, at least in some places. There should be a sticker on the
: diesel pump that says whether it's low sulfur or not.
:
: David

:From what I've read there are different phase in dates for the ultra low
:sulfur fuel.
:For marine diesel engine fuel, the current "low sulfur" (500 ppm) becomes
:mandatory in 2007.
:The "ultra low (15 ppm) sulfur" fuel (which is now in use as of Oct 15th for
n road vehicles) will be required for marine diesel engines in 2012.

You're right, I think. The fuel will be gone before than, though.
It won't be availabe for road use after 2010, I think, and as that's
the biggest market, once it's gone, it doesn't make sense to handle
two different products. I expect 500 ppm fuel will disappear before
2010, because handling two products is a pain for distillers and
shippers.

David