Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Went to the library for a boating book.

I went to the library to find a good boat book.

There were a lot of different types of books in the library. There were
history books, political books, religious books, cook books, novels,
and biographies. I wanted to find a boat book, so I went to the boating
section. When I got to the boating section, it wasn't easy to find a
boat book! In fact, the shelf was jammed with political and religious
books, cookbooks, novels, and biographies. Here and there were some
boat books- but in a lot of cases it wasn't easy to be sure whether a
book was about boating or not. The title would seem promising, but
after the first couple of chapters it would wander off into politics,
editorial opinions, economics, foreign policies, abortion, you name it.
A couple of other library patrons were angrily throwing books at one
another and calling each other names.

I complained to the librarian. The librarian said, "What's the matter?
Don't you believe in freedom of the press? Shouldn't people be allowed
to make political and religious statements, write about foreign
affairs, etc? Aren't you interested in any of those other topics?"

"Of course I'm interested. And if your library only had one shelf in
it, I guess I'd expect to have to sort through all of the other
nonsense to find a boating book. But here you are, in the biggest
library on the planet, and readers should be able to preselect what
types of books they hope to find by going to the appropriate sections.
If I wanted to read about politics, I'd go to the political section. If
I wanted to read about foreign policy, I'd go to the appropriate
section."

"I'm sorry to tell you this," said the librarian, "but a lot of the
non-boating books in this section are deliberately misfiled by the
library patrons. They apparently believe that reading books called
"How Bush Screwed America" or "How Liberal Judges are Destroying Public
Morality" is more urgent than reading about boating. Yes, you could go
to those sections, but the partons who deliberately misfile these other
titles secretly believe that you're too stupid to find your way to the
appropriate shelf, so maybe they believe you're actually stupid enough
to fall for their ill-considered opinions as well."

"I don't know," I said. "Maybe the partrons who deliberately misfile
all of these other titles on the boating bookshelf are the stupid ones.
Too stupid to know where the non-boating books belong. If they can't
tell the difference between the boating bookshelf and the appropriate
places to file all of those other topics, why do they think anybody
would find their opinions worthy of consideration at all?"

The library wold be a lot more user friendly if the process of
preselecting the type of material you wanted to read (and going to the
appropriate section) wasn't deliberately thwarted by people with
non-boating priorities.