BoatBanter.com

-   -   MerCruiser 3.0 vs 4.3 (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/75094-mercruiser-3-0-vs-4-3-a.html)

bowgus October 19th 06 11:38 PM

MerCruiser 3.0 vs 4.3

jamesgangnc wrote:
At the other end I have a 19 ft bowrider with a 5.7. I can pull a
slalom skier with 10 adults and teenagers in the boat, or a 100" tube
with 8 teenagers on it. And do low 60's at wot :-)

I'm curious what my little 4.3L boat will do with the 23" prop. It's 50
mph (4 adults) with the 21" at 4600 rpm for a short duration ... only
have about 25 hrs on the motor. Seems to have the power to maintain the
revs ... I'll find out next season :-)

GOP=Greedy Old Perverts October 20th 06 06:40 PM

MerCruiser 3.0 vs 4.3

Truly depends on how you are going to use the boat.
Do YOU ski, one or two ski's, kids tubing, fishing....

I had a 19 foot galaxy with a 3.0. I slalom ski and the boat could barely
get me out of the water. I had to put a smaller pitch prop on it so that it
could pull me out - that killed my top end. Flat out it would only go 35
mph.

I bought a 19 foot Chaparral with a 4.3 this is a good all around boat. It
can pull me up on one ski and still has a top end around 50. We can pull
kids on tubes all day on a tank of gas.
I would go for a 4.3 with fuel injection. They cost a little more but you
get more HP and better gas mileage.

Stay away from the 3.0 unless all you ever plan on doing is pulling kids on
a tube and a little fishing.