Default Speaking of North Korea...

Tom Francis wrote:
Might want to watch this. It's kind of long, but worth the effort.

http://maccise.com/2006/07/welcome-to-north-korea.html

Speaking of North Korea, I'd be surprised if there are any recreational
boats in that country at all. Ol' Kim probably goes boating in
something armor plated, with 50-calibers mounted on the decks, and a
Kevlar clad crew.

Chinese boats, even mainland Chinese boats, are pretty well accepted in
the marketplace these days- and many of them are decently or better
built. I suspect that anybody trying to bring in boats from North Korea
wouldn't find a receptive market right now, and it wouldn't matter how
much boat you could buy for how little.

"Tom Francis" wrote in message
On 15 Oct 2006 18:41:47 -0700, "Chuck Gould"
wrote:

Tom Francis wrote:
Might want to watch this. It's kind of long, but worth the effort.

http://maccise.com/2006/07/welcome-to-north-korea.html

Speaking of North Korea, I'd be surprised if there are any recreational
boats in that country at all. Ol' Kim probably goes boating in
something armor plated, with 50-calibers mounted on the decks, and a
Kevlar clad crew.

Chinese boats, even mainland Chinese boats, are pretty well accepted in
the marketplace these days- and many of them are decently or better
built. I suspect that anybody trying to bring in boats from North Korea
wouldn't find a receptive market right now, and it wouldn't matter how
much boat you could buy for how little.

Really, Chinese boats?

Got some links?

Speaking of Chinese...

I had a RFQ out to some importers on a couple of salt water fly
fishing lures that have received some local attention as being pretty
good patterns and just this morning received a fax from one of them
with the quote.

Shocked is the word. I don't even know how to describe the difference
between an American company I asked and this Chinese one - factor of
thousands is the best word with the Chinese being considerable lower
including the packaging and shipping.

Unreal.

No legal liability
No R&D, copy existing designs
No warranty
No Competition (state protected)
No need for a stable of lawyers to provide protection and support against
other lawyers

That's about 30% of the savings then add low labor costs

DSK DSK is offline

Jeff Rigby wrote:
No legal liability
No R&D, copy existing designs
No warranty
No Competition (state protected)
No need for a stable of lawyers to provide protection and support against
other lawyers

That's about 30% of the savings then add low labor costs

Don't forget lack of environmental regulation. In many
businesses, that will be a greater than 30% cost difference
right there. However, it's also an economic dead end. Look
at all the former Soviet countries with 'dead zones' all
thru the countryside and see if they are on the upward track
economically.

DSK

Chuck Gould wrote:
Tom Francis wrote:
Might want to watch this. It's kind of long, but worth the effort.

http://maccise.com/2006/07/welcome-to-north-korea.html

Speaking of North Korea, I'd be surprised if there are any recreational
boats in that country at all. Ol' Kim probably goes boating in
something armor plated, with 50-calibers mounted on the decks, and a
Kevlar clad crew.

Chinese boats, even mainland Chinese boats, are pretty well accepted in
the marketplace these days- and many of them are decently or better
built. I suspect that anybody trying to bring in boats from North Korea
wouldn't find a receptive market right now, and it wouldn't matter how
much boat you could buy for how little.

North Korean don't need to export to western market. They could have
exported very low-priced recreational boats to China. Their labor cost
is even lower than that's in China, and can be competitive in China
market. With large number of Chinese buying cars nowaday and having a
car is no longer as high a "status symbol" as before, I will not be
surprised to see Chinese start buying recreational boats. Currently,
North Korean is exporting a lot of stuff to China (at a very
competitive price); there is no reason why North Korean cannot export
other items such as recreational boats.

But the weather is cold in North Korea and will limit the number of
months when they can produce boats without additional heating; this may
be the factor that prevents them to be an actor in boat-building
industry, right? I am just speculating.

Jay Chan