Default Mooring whip-like thingamajigs

Saw a boat attached to this contraption last weekend. There were two
metallic looking upside down L shaped supports with a diagonal crossbrace in
the elbow. Maybe four feet high or so. Looked like davits. Hanging off the
ends of the rigid supports were lines down to the boat with what looked like
a spring or elastic section in the middle. Anybody familiar with this type
of docking gadget?

"James" wrote
Holds the boat away from the dock when it is not in use. Handy for docks
with rough water.

That's exactly what I've got and why I'm interested. I'm on a river, near a
turn-around point, and on summer weekends, the cruiser drivers start heading
home for dinner around dusk with their throttles in the "dead plow"
position, making about 10 knots at 30gph with wakes you could surf on.

The fiberglass mooring whips are cheaper if you have a boat under 25'.

Mooring whips seem awfully expensive to me, for what they are. ($300+ for a
pair of fiberglass fishin' poles?) Plus I've seen several broken whips
hanging off docks in my area. These things I saw (do they have a name?) were
on a small runabout, maybe 17' or so. Looked like something a reasonably
handy man could fabricate for himself at a reasonable cost.

Plus I've seen several broken whips
hanging off docks in my area.

Yeesh, if the wakes are that bad you may have no choice other than to get a
lift.

Single handed ,, question about approaching a mooring Lester Evans Cruising 27 July 11th 06 04:54 PM
long term mooring design - an engineering question mitch Cruising 5 July 18th 04 05:05 PM
Rust on a mooring chain J Bard ASA 2 May 21st 04 12:09 AM
mooring anchors Parallax General 5 October 14th 03 05:05 PM