Jay Jay is offline

Default Help with buying a used waterski boat

I am new to boating and just got a lake house on Lake Hartwell, GA. I
am interested in a used boat, possibly a deck boat that would be good
for pulling a skier, but also comfortable enough for about 8-10 people,
and would require low maintenance. I need a primer on what features,
brands to look for. I have been advised to get something with 200
hours or less use. I was thinking of spending no more than about $23K
but would prefer less if that is attainable. Thanks for any advice.
Jay

"Jay" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am new to boating and just got a lake house on Lake Hartwell, GA. I
am interested in a used boat, possibly a deck boat that would be good
for pulling a skier, but also comfortable enough for about 8-10 people,
and would require low maintenance. I need a primer on what features,
brands to look for. I have been advised to get something with 200
hours or less use. I was thinking of spending no more than about $23K
but would prefer less if that is attainable. Thanks for any advice.
Jay

Welcome to the neighborhood. What buey you live near?? Any deck boat is a
compromise between a true runnabout and a pontoon boat. If you want to use
it to pull rope toys... look for the most HP you can afford. I would not
settle for less than a MerCruiser V8.

-Wayne (at T-21, Hartwell)

Clams Canino wrote:

"Jay" wrote in message
oups.com...

I am new to boating and just got a lake house on Lake Hartwell, GA. I
am interested in a used boat, possibly a deck boat that would be good
for pulling a skier, but also comfortable enough for about 8-10 people,
and would require low maintenance. I need a primer on what features,
brands to look for. I have been advised to get something with 200
hours or less use. I was thinking of spending no more than about $23K
but would prefer less if that is attainable. Thanks for any advice.
Jay

Welcome to the neighborhood. What buey you live near?? Any deck boat is a
compromise between a true runnabout and a pontoon boat. If you want to use
it to pull rope toys... look for the most HP you can afford. I would not
settle for less than a MerCruiser V8.

-Wayne (at T-21, Hartwell)

How has it been down your way Wayne ? I sold the cuddy and will be
winterizing the bowrider myself this year. Thanks for coming by the dock
and helping me putthe bowrider away last year. We ended up getting the
pontoon boat as well, went with a new one so it will be a little while
until I call you on that one. Unless you do mercury covered repairs if I
end up with one.

How is the Phantom Menace II still running good with your vintage merc?

Cheers:

Capt Jack R..

"Jack Redington" wrote in message

How is the Phantom Menace II still running good with your vintage merc?

Cheers:

Capt Jack R..

PM-II took it on the chin 2 weeks ago when the (new in April) waterpump
failed due to sand damage. Good thing I was trolling when it overheated and
stopped cold.

Compression test is OK, though it's bound to have scored the top 2 pistons
on the skirts to some unknown degree.. I'll rip it down in January to
investigate... for now it seems quite normal, bears watching.

-W

How is the Phantom Menace II still running good with your vintage merc?

Cheers:

Capt Jack R..

PM-II took it on the chin 2 weeks ago when the (new in April) waterpump
failed due to sand damage. Good thing I was trolling when it overheated and
stopped cold.

Compression test is OK, though it's bound to have scored the top 2 pistons
on the skirts to some unknown degree.. I'll rip it down in January to
investigate... for now it seems quite normal, bears watching.

-W

Sorry to hear that - But I think you know a good resource to fix it :-)

Cheers

Capt Jack R..

"Jay" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am new to boating and just got a lake house on Lake Hartwell, GA. I
am interested in a used boat, possibly a deck boat that would be good
for pulling a skier, but also comfortable enough for about 8-10 people,
and would require low maintenance. I need a primer on what features,
brands to look for. I have been advised to get something with 200
hours or less use. I was thinking of spending no more than about $23K
but would prefer less if that is attainable. Thanks for any advice.
Jay

To seat 8 you are looking at a 24 footer minimum. Trying to find a nice
one with less than 200 hours will be a real challenge. Trying to find a
boat that requires low maintenance will be impossible.

Start shopping around and see what brand and model suits your needs.

" JimH" not telling you @ pffftt.com wrote in message
. ..

"Jay" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am new to boating and just got a lake house on Lake Hartwell, GA. I
am interested in a used boat, possibly a deck boat that would be good
for pulling a skier, but also comfortable enough for about 8-10 people,
and would require low maintenance. I need a primer on what features,
brands to look for. I have been advised to get something with 200
hours or less use. I was thinking of spending no more than about $23K
but would prefer less if that is attainable. Thanks for any advice.
Jay

To seat 8 you are looking at a 24 footer minimum. Trying to find a nice
one for under $23K with less than 200 hours will be a real challenge.

Jay wrote:
I am new to boating and just got a lake house on Lake Hartwell, GA. I
am interested in a used boat, possibly a deck boat that would be good
for pulling a skier, but also comfortable enough for about 8-10 people,
and would require low maintenance. I need a primer on what features,
brands to look for. I have been advised to get something with 200
hours or less use. I was thinking of spending no more than about $23K
but would prefer less if that is attainable. Thanks for any advice.
Jay

Where on lake Hartwell are you located Jay ?
just wondering as we have a place on Gumlog creek. That is near Tugaloo
State park.

This is the best time to buy a boat since most folks that are selling
now do not want to be looking at it in the spring. Engine hours are
somthing to use as a gauge. But overall condition (did it have proper
care are feeding) is very important. We purchased a Crownline bowrider
last year from Hartwell marine that I thought was a good deal. It was a
consigment boat and they were ok to work with. Best to just look around
and if you find somthing that looks good for your needs and at least
appears to have been taken care of have it check out by a independent
shop if you have any doubts about the engine. We took ours out for a run
and it ran fine.

I also would avoid anything that just looks unkept. I have seen too many
boats that were only a few years old look pretty rought. It just makes
you wonder if they do care how the boat looks, did they really care
about the really important stuff like maintaince.

If you are not familiar on how to poke around looking for rot (soft
floors, bad transum etc. Have a pro check out the structure for any
problewm areas if in doubt. I personally use a icepick to prob around,
but I am not a professional. But have been around boats since 1970.

That being said...

The sales folks had sold the boat new in 2000 at Hartwell marina. And it
had been a resident in their rack boat storage and maintained there
since new. I did not have it checked and the boat has been fine. So much
depends on how familiar you are with boats and how much you trust the
people you are dealing with.

I did have all the fluids changed there since it did not come with a
trailer, and now the boat lives on a lift at our dock. They seemed a
little on the high side to me for this work as compaired to what I was
use to with our former boat. A Crownline 2100 cuddy that we kept on the
trailer when not in use. But they were not two far out of line.

I was speaking with my boss yesterday and he has decided to sell his
Ebtide deck boat. It does not have a windshield and he has decided he
wants one. I was with him last year when he purchased it and it may be
fit the bill. He keeps it on Lake Knottley near Blairsville. Here is
what I recall about it.

It's a 1997 w a 5.7L mercursier (350 chevy with two bbl carb. 22 foot,
has full covers and a trailer. I would guess he will be asking under
15k. (I can't speak for him of course) He pulled it last weekend and
will be winterizing it this weekend I beleive..

Anyway if you think you might be interested let me know and i will have
him send you some picks. Just put "BOAT INQUIRY" in the subject, as use
spam filters to keep the noise down in my mailbox.

Anyway happy hunting! I am sure you can find a good craft to suit your
needs for under 23k

Cheers.

Capt Jack R..

If I remember correctly there are not any 5.7's with 2 barrels. I
think the 2 barrel carb was only on the 5.0, 305 v8.

Jack Redington wrote:
Jay wrote:
[...]

rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 May 21st 06 05:23 AM
rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 December 19th 05 05:37 AM
Carribean Sail Don White General 16 November 18th 05 01:23 AM
rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 March 30th 05 06:35 AM