posted to rec.boats.paddle

Default Recommend inflatable kayak?

Hi all,
I am looking for an inflatable kayak, and would like recommendations as
to size, material, brand, etc.
I am looking for a basic inflatable that I can use as a family
recreation type boat and:

1. Can carry 2 people
2. Will handle reasonably well in calm water or maybe a little bit of
chop. Bottom line: no whitewater action contemplated. Just maybe
some kayaking on the bay or lake / river.
3. Is better than a pool toy
4. Can be stored compactly

Frankly I'm looking to spend as little as I can, but not buy junk.
Granted, I don't want to spend much because my demands on this kayak
will be pretty low, but I don't want something that will leak and fall
apart in two uses, either.

If anyone has any recommendations, especially as to specific brands or
models, please let me know. Also if you have recommendation as to
where to buy, online or otherwise, that would help.

Thanks

posted to rec.boats.paddle

My first choice would be an Aire Super Lynx. It paddles well in flat
water, will handle easy whitewater, has a load capacity large enough to
overnight trip and is very durable.
Innova also makes several decent light touring style boats, although
most don't self bail.
There is a skeg available for the Super Lynx that I would think about
if I were paddling flat water only.

A good source of information is www.theboatpeople.com

The specialize in inflatable kayaks and I agree with most of their
assessment of the equipment. I would read the FAQ page before I started
shopping for a boat.

The Aire Tributary lines Shrike might be another option, but I haven't
paddled that one.

BTW, I own a Super Lynx

Bilbo wrote:
[...]

posted to rec.boats.paddle

Bilbo wrote:
I am looking for a basic inflatable that I can use as a family
recreation type boat and:
1. Can carry 2 people

How much weight combined?

2. Will handle reasonably well in calm water or maybe a little bit of
chop. Bottom line: no whitewater action contemplated. Just maybe
some kayaking on the bay or lake / river.

NRS Bandit 2 would be my recommendation. The AIRE Tomcat 2 (made in China)
has PVC inner tubes, and PVC is not noted for longevity. If you were
planning to use the boat a lot in 1-2 years, Tomcat would be recommended.

If you're talking about 2 heavy people, the AIRE Lynx 2 is probably the
only IK with enough carrying capacity, but it costs $1265 and is optimized
for whitewater, not fla****er.

3. Is better than a pool toy
4. Can be stored compactly

Yup, $895 retail at http://nrsweb.com - but seek other advice.
Look at the Boat People website, especially the page on touring IKs:
http://theboatpeople.com/iks_touring.html
The Solar II might be suitable, $729.

Frankly I'm looking to spend as little as I can, but not buy junk.
Granted, I don't want to spend much because my demands on this kayak
will be pretty low, but I don't want something that will leak and fall
apart in two uses, either.

Nor do you want something that will deteriorate after 5 years in storage,
I'm assuming.

posted to rec.boats.paddle

Bill Tuthill wrote:
Bilbo wrote:
I am looking for a basic inflatable that I can use as a family
recreation type boat and:
1. Can carry 2 people

How much weight combined?

2. Will handle reasonably well in calm water or maybe a little bit of
chop. Bottom line: no whitewater action contemplated. Just maybe
some kayaking on the bay or lake / river.

NRS Bandit 2 would be my recommendation. The AIRE Tomcat 2 (made in China)
has PVC inner tubes, and PVC is not noted for longevity. If you were
planning to use the boat a lot in 1-2 years, Tomcat would be recommended.

If you're talking about 2 heavy people, the AIRE Lynx 2 is probably the
only IK with enough carrying capacity, but it costs $1265 and is optimized
for whitewater, not fla****er.

The Super Lynx is much better on flat water than either the Lynx or the
Tomcat and has more than adequete capacity for two heavy people, plus a
bit of gear. It's still my first choice for what he indicates his
interest are in paddling.

3. Is better than a pool toy
4. Can be stored compactly

Yup, $895 retail at http://nrsweb.com - but seek other advice.
Look at the Boat People website, especially the page on touring IKs:
http://theboatpeople.com/iks_touring.html
The Solar II might be suitable, $729.

I thought about a Solar myself, but since I do run whitewater in mine,
the non self bailing feature pushed me over to the Super Lynx. If I
wasn't going to use it on any whitewater, it would have been a serious
contenter.

If I just had the extra money to spend, I would love to pick up one of
the Innova decked sea kayaks.

Frankly I'm looking to spend as little as I can, but not buy junk.
Granted, I don't want to spend much because my demands on this kayak
will be pretty low, but I don't want something that will leak and fall
apart in two uses, either.

Nor do you want something that will deteriorate after 5 years in storage,
I'm assuming.

posted to rec.boats.paddle

Larry C wrote:

The Super Lynx is much better on flat water than either the Lynx or the
Tomcat and has more than adequete capacity for two heavy people, plus a
bit of gear. It's still my first choice for what he indicates his
interest are in paddling.

Yup, AIRE claims 600 pounds capacity for the Super Lynx, versus only 425
for the Lynx-2, but the Super Lynx costs $1400.

What the frickin' heck are the AIRE Strike boats intended for? They are
very tippy in whitewater, and very slow on fla****er.

posted to rec.boats.paddle

i purchased a sevylor river 2 (12 ft 9 inches), capacity 650 lbs. has 2
seats and can be used in different sections of the kayak, or used as a
single. just returned from a trip w/wife. she enjoyed it.
check out kayak reviews for specific models on paddling.net.

"Bilbo" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

posted to rec.boats.paddle

On 11 Sep 2006 17:40:32 -0700, "Bilbo" wrote:

I think anything over $300 would eliminate the junk label. At that
stage, except for I believe Star and their glued boats, essentially
everything is going to be welded PVC or encapusulated urethane.
The AIRE Tomcats will be sewn but if you take the precaution of
coating the seams with aquaseal, it would be a tough boat
to beat.

I have an NRS Bandit II, an AIRE Tomcat II, and both the tandem
and solo Sevylor SVX models.

The Bandit II has no payload to speak of. 350 lbs if I remember
correctly and that might be pushing it. My wife and I are awash
when using it. It's a decent, very lightweight whitewater boat which
is not your goal.

Had absolutely no trouble with either the Tomcat and Sevylor.
Some people speak of pinhole leaks in the AIRE vinyl bladder, but
I've not experienced it. Obviously urethane bladders would be the
choice here. The Sevylor comes with the world's worst
and cheapest valves. But buy a couple of the spare boston valves
for 5 bucks, and you're good to go.

I wouldn't spend $800 for what you have speced out, must less
$1200.

Go to eBay and buy a Tomcat or SVX200 lightly used for $400.
If you don't like it or outgrow it, sell it there again for $350.

Before that go to http://www.theboatpeople.com/faqs.html .
He puts forth some frank opinions on IK's that I tend to agree with
although I don't like Innova.

Be aware that a few years ago I thought the same as you about
taking the IK a few times a year to the local lake. After a
hardshell, an IK on flat water is painful. But put them on moving
water, and it's a different ballgame.

I use the Bandit for serious whitewater and anything that requires
flying in with the boat. The AIRE on multiday river trips where I
carry a bunch of gear in comfort. The SVX200 gets loaned out
a lot. Most people like the look of it better than the AIRE and
I agree. They say it also handles better but I don't think there
is much difference. The AIRE is a lot drier ride than either of the
other two.

Gene

Hi all,
I am looking for an inflatable kayak, and would like recommendations as
to size, material, brand, etc.
I am looking for a basic inflatable that I can use as a family
recreation type boat and:

1. Can carry 2 people
2. Will handle reasonably well in calm water or maybe a little bit of
chop. Bottom line: no whitewater action contemplated. Just maybe
some kayaking on the bay or lake / river.
3. Is better than a pool toy
4. Can be stored compactly

Frankly I'm looking to spend as little as I can, but not buy junk.
Granted, I don't want to spend much because my demands on this kayak
will be pretty low, but I don't want something that will leak and fall
apart in two uses, either.

posted to rec.boats.paddle

I will admit that I'm somewhat of a performance freak, but the Tomcat
is not what I would recommend to paddle fla****er. I haven't tried the
new model River X, but I'm completely unimpressed with the original. It
didn't blow up even as tight as the Tomcat and the floor didn't self
bail worth a damn.

Hull shape and hull stiffness make a hell of a lot of difference in
performance. That may not mean much if you just want to putter around
on the local pond, but at the end of the day and you are fighting a
head wind, having a stiff and effiencent hull makes the difference
between a good and a bad day.

The Super Lynx handles about like a plastic touring SOT, and I would
think that the Solar II would paddle just about as easy. Paddling a WW
IK on flat water gets to be no fun pretty quick, but so does paddling
flat water in a hardshell whitewater kayak. the inflatables that are
designed to handle fla****er paddle as well as everything except true
sea kayaks.

You get what you pay for when you buy IK's.

deadlizard wrote:
[...]

posted to rec.boats.paddle

Here's what I took to be the primary criteria excerpted from
the request for recommendation:

"Bottom line: no whitewater action contemplated.

Frankly I'm looking to spend as little as I can, but not buy junk."

Yet the two biggest recommendations out were for the Lynx II
and Super Lynx, which could well be the most expensive IK's
on the market. Excluding any true exotics.

I'm aware the River X's have very marginal self-bailers. The
Tomcat isn't much better. But based on the "no whitewater
action contemplated", that didn't enter into the equation.

Essentially all the IK's are from 34-40 inches wide. Frankly, I don't
envy the thought of spending a lot of time pushing any of them
around on flat water for a great amount of time.

All of the boats discussed here will last for at least a few years
with the more expensive going into a 2nd decade. But if I
get 5 years out of a $400 boat, it's all good.

I think we bias the recommendation based on what we personally would
like to buy, not what might meet his specs. No argument from
me that the Super Lynx is a better boat but I have trouble fitting
that into the "spend as little as I can" category.

Take care.

Gene

On 13 Sep 2006 10:11:03 -0700, "Larry C" wrote:

[...]

ybe