Default 2002 Maxum hit a rock!

Hey all.
Just had a real bad accident in my 2002 Maxum. Ran over a rock bed and
all but tore the entire (Bravo 3) outdrive off. Towed it to my dealer
and got some god awful news. Estimate to repair: $17,000!! And only
$1000 of it is labor.

I know nothing about I/O systems. Why would this repair be this steep?
The boat alone is only worth $24k. Just seems crazy that this whole
outdrive thing cost nearly 80% of the boats value.

What am I missing here?

--
Posted at author's request, using http://www.BoatingForumz.com interface
Articles individually verified to usenet standards. Visit URL to contact author/report abuse

MGG MGG is offline

Ouch...sorry about the accident. I hope no one got hurt.

Typical of boats and cars (moreso with boats), but if you bought all the
parts seperately, it'd be 3-4 times the cost of the vehicle new. Sad but
true. That's why many pro car theft rings part out the cars...they're worth
more that way.

I'd suggest that you tell the dealer to put the feelers out for a slavaged
bravoIII. There are many accidents (unfortunately) where the boat is
totalled, but the outdrive is fine. I might even scour Craigs list or
similar to find a used boat with a similar outdrive...you might get lucky.

I hope it works out. Good luck!

--Mike

"zachalyse" wrote in message
news:305078_10a09d9c17f38739216a8eb45af3ba48@boati ngforumz.com...
Hey all.
Just had a real bad accident in my 2002 Maxum. Ran over a rock bed and
all but tore the entire (Bravo 3) outdrive off. Towed it to my dealer
and got some god awful news. Estimate to repair: $17,000!! And only
$1000 of it is labor.

I know nothing about I/O systems. Why would this repair be this steep?
The boat alone is only worth $24k. Just seems crazy that this whole
outdrive thing cost nearly 80% of the boats value.

What am I missing here?

--
Posted at author's request, using http://www.BoatingForumz.com interface
author/report abuse
Thread archive:
http://www.BoatingForumz.com/2002-Ma...pict90730.html

Too high. But the bravo 3 is the most expensive i/o and the least
likely to be available used. I don't know the bravo 3 well enough to
know if the other bravos are a bolt in. They would be much more likely
to be available used. The counter rotating props are really nice but
the cost of the 3 outdrive and the props is not worth it for a runabout
inho.

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 02:23:34 GMT, zachalyse wrote:

Hey all.
Just had a real bad accident in my 2002 Maxum. Ran over a rock bed and
all but tore the entire (Bravo 3) outdrive off. Towed it to my dealer
and got some god awful news. Estimate to repair: $17,000!! And only
$1000 of it is labor.

I know nothing about I/O systems. Why would this repair be this steep?
The boat alone is only worth $24k. Just seems crazy that this whole
outdrive thing cost nearly 80% of the boats value.

According to http://www.outdriveshop.com/supplies/mainsupplies.html a
new outdrive, less shipping/handling, etc., is about $6,000.

Or http://www.sterndrives.com/precision...ravothree.html

What am I missing here?

Figure the cost of the outdrive, probably some repair to the transom
if you hit really hard, new seals, no telling if there is some engine
damage - perhaps that's why it's high.

Do you have a detailed estimate or is it one of the ball park things?

He said it's a 2002 maxum and worth $24k so I assumed it was less than
25 ft. Try ebay. There's a new bravo 3 at $2500 with 8 hours to go.

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
On 6 Sep 2006 04:50:28 -0700, "jamesgangnc"
wrote:

Too high. But the bravo 3 is the most expensive i/o and the least
likely to be available used. I don't know the bravo 3 well enough to
know if the other bravos are a bolt in. They would be much more likely
to be available used. The counter rotating props are really nice but
the cost of the 3 outdrive and the props is not worth it for a runabout
inho.

Given the reported circumstances and the cost of the labor, I suspect
that if there is any over pricing, it's on the cost of the parts.

Compared to what I think the pricing should be, and a little searching
on the net, it's about $10,000 over what I would have suspected the
cost should be.

And it's really up to the owner on this one. He didn't give any
information as to the size of the boat, what type of boat is was or
anything other than having the drive replaced. If it's a 20'
runabout, that's one thing. If it's a 32' bubble boat, that's
another.

wrote:

[...]

It sounds like your dealer is looking to cash in on your insurance. I'd
do some looking around if I were you. But try to get the boat back,
they try to hit you up for outragous storage if you leave it, to get
you to agree to let them do the work, they tell you they'll take it off
the bill if they get the job, if not you have to pay it.

17,000 for that damage??? Are you sure it was
seventeen thousand and not seven thousand???
Or even better yet seventeen hundered????

I would expect to pay 7-8000 for a new outdrive
labor and maybe some fiberglass work in need be.
5000 for materials and 2-3 grand for all the labor.

if the marina wants that much from you they are
screwing around with you. Time to get some more quotes!

Tom

zachalyse wrote:
Hey all.
Just had a real bad accident in my 2002 Maxum. Ran over a rock bed and
all but tore the entire (Bravo 3) outdrive off. Towed it to my dealer
and got some god awful news. Estimate to repair: $17,000!! And only
$1000 of it is labor.

I know nothing about I/O systems. Why would this repair be this steep?
The boat alone is only worth $24k. Just seems crazy that this whole
outdrive thing cost nearly 80% of the boats value.

What am I missing here?

--
Posted at author's request, using http://www.BoatingForumz.com interface
Articles individually verified to usenet standards. Visit URL to contact author/report abuse
Thread archive: http://www.BoatingForumz.com/2002-Ma...pict90730.html

wrote:

[...]

I assume that the OP was insured (I certainly would be on a $24K
boat). If so, it seems the pricing and dickering are the insurance
company's problem. I would be looking for the most competent service
operation I could find and try to get the insurance to kick in for new
OEM parts - screw the costs as long as the insurance company accepts
it, it is over the deductible any way you look at it.

Dave Hall

"zachalyse" wrote in message
news:305078_10a09d9c17f38739216a8eb45af3ba48@boati ngforumz.com...
Hey all.
Just had a real bad accident in my 2002 Maxum. Ran over a rock bed and
all but tore the entire (Bravo 3) outdrive off. Towed it to my dealer
and got some god awful news. Estimate to repair: $17,000!! And only
$1000 of it is labor.

I know nothing about I/O systems. Why would this repair be this steep?
The boat alone is only worth $24k. Just seems crazy that this whole
outdrive thing cost nearly 80% of the boats value.

What am I missing here?

Well, I read all of the posts in this thread, and agree,
we don't have all of the information on your situation.
First off, what is the "nature" of the damage? You say
"all but tore the entire drive off", but what does this
actually mean ?? Were you going 40 Mph and riped
the transom off the boat and then took the boat back
to the dealer in 2 pieces? Or is the skeg/prop lopped
completly off? Can you "see" any visable fiberglass
damage?. And what does the itemized estimate say?
Maybe he got his words confused and ment to say
that he'd give you $17,000 for the boat as trade-in ?
Keep us posted. I don't encourage insurance fraud,
since it hands up costing all of us, so hopefully there
is none of that going on with this situation.

--
Posted at author's request, using http://www.BoatingForumz.com interface

author/report abuse
Thread archive:

http://www.BoatingForumz.com/2002-Ma...pict90730.html

. com...

"zachalyse" wrote in message
news:305078_10a09d9c17f38739216a8eb45af3ba48@boati ngforumz.com...
Hey all.
Just had a real bad accident in my 2002 Maxum. Ran over a rock bed and
all but tore the entire (Bravo 3) outdrive off. Towed it to my dealer
and got some god awful news. Estimate to repair: $17,000!! And only
$1000 of it is labor.

I know nothing about I/O systems. Why would this repair be this steep?
The boat alone is only worth $24k. Just seems crazy that this whole
outdrive thing cost nearly 80% of the boats value.

What am I missing here?

--
Posted at author's request, using http://www.BoatingForumz.com interface
author/report abuse
Thread archive:
http://www.BoatingForumz.com/2002-Ma...pict90730.html

Check out I Boats.
http://www.boatmotors.com/motorparts...in&zip=4 6112

A brand new Bravo 3 complete is only 6763.00 thru Iboats

You must have torn up a lot of other stuff!