Default Mercury 7.5HP: short or long shaft, how can I tell?

I've had this old merc for years but am now selling it. And a guy I
bumped into asked if it was long or short shaft since I didn't have the
motor with me. I don't know? What is the difference? What do I
measure?

Thanks in advance.

Charlie Morgan wrote:
On 23 Aug 2006 13:19:36 -0700, "gprimerib" wrote:

I've had this old merc for years but am now selling it. And a guy I
bumped into asked if it was long or short shaft since I didn't have the
motor with me. I don't know? What is the difference? What do I
measure?

Thanks in advance.

Measure from the point where the mounting bracket contacts the top of the
transom (where it hangs from) to the cavitation plate directly above the prop.

Short shaft is 15 inches
Long shaft is 20 inches
Extra long shaft is 25 inches

Thanks. Figures that mine measures out to a little over 17". But that
helps. Thanks.