Default The new PWC?

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
I was down in Mystic yesterday and as is my custom, I head down to the
Mystic River bridge while the wife and relatives visit to watch the
clown show.

I have, quite arbitrarily and completely unfairly, decided that
kayaks, their owners, renters and users, are the new PWC.

If I had a dime for every kayak that did something dangerous, as in
turn in front of a boat, get caught in a eddy and slam into the bridge
pilings, etc., I'd have about two bucks more than I have now, but
still.

So, there you have it - kayaks are the new PWC.

Not at all.

The PWC crowd *loved* to have other boats on the water. Everybody else
was out there just to generate wakes for those fools to jump (or so
they thought).

Make no mistake about the attitude of most kayakers: they can barely
tolerate sailboats and see powerboats as Satan's spawn. The fact that
we don't always reduce our wakes to a ripple when within a mile or two
of a kayak only aggravates their sentiments that we are "defiling
Gaea".

If you want to draw a parallel between kayakers and some other group, I
think those bicyclists who pedal down the middle of the lane at 5-10
mph in a 45 mph zone and flip off every motor vehicle that dares to
pass them would be closer kin than PWC'ers.

There's room for everybody on the water. I always try to slow down
around kayaks or other unseaworthy small craft.......(how seaworthy can
something actually be when a key part of the training course is how to
recover after the frequent and fully expected capsizings?)....and I
wish them well in their chosen recreational pursuit. To the exact
degree that a portion of kayakers would love to drive powerboaters
completely off the water, I have little use for that portion of them.

Chuck Gould wrote:
[...]

Yep, just like the evil boy scouts coming into the Prairie Portage
ranger station in their canoes that were swamped by the innocent
powerboaters blowing by in the narrow opening to the bay.

Fortunately we were able to drag them to shore so they could right
themselves. The perps never even looked back.

There are a lot of idiot powerboaters around.

--
Del Cecchi
"This post is my own and doesn’t necessarily represent IBM’s positions,

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 14:02:21 -0500, Del Cecchi
wrote:

There are a lot of idiot powerboaters around.

Oh cheez, here we go, another sailor who believes that power boat
owners are required to undergo brain removal before they can purchase.

To a sailboat operator, the prevailing definition of "stupid idiot" is
someone who is going faster than they are when under power.

Sail boats and kayaks have something in common: They are both able to
go where most powerboats can not, although for different reasons.

Too bad they don't go there and celebtate with each other. It would
likely alter the earth's orbit however with all of that brain power
concentrated in one place.

On 14 Aug 2006 09:20:15 -0700, "Chuck Gould"
wrote:

Make no mistake about the attitude of most kayakers: they can barely
tolerate sailboats and see powerboats as Satan's spawn. The fact that
we don't always reduce our wakes to a ripple when within a mile or two
of a kayak only aggravates their sentiments that we are "defiling
Gaea".

I was speaking specifically, with tongue in cheek, about those
inexperienced yakkers who seem to think that wakes and tidal currents
have to bearing on their ability to maneuver their "boats".

And the fact that they seem emboldened enough to take up 20 of the
available parking spaces for trailers with single cars at a state
launch ramp.

Not to mention that most of them are inexperienced in the use of a
kayak and don't even bother to put their PFDs on in heavily traveled
areas and channels.

Now I'm getting mad again - oooooooommmmmmmmmmmm :)

In Emeryville on SF Bay there is an expensive Asian Restaurant near the
ramp. Their customers have no problem parking in the trailer area, but if a
trailer person parks outside the trailer area, they get a ticket. Unless
they park on the street about 1/2 mile + away.

wrote in message
news
On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 22:36:57 GMT, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

In Emeryville on SF Bay there is an expensive Asian Restaurant near the
ramp. Their customers have no problem parking in the trailer area, but if
trailer person parks outside the trailer area, they get a ticket. Unless
they park on the street about 1/2 mile + away.

Maybe you should leave a nasty note on every car parked there without
a trailer.
Maybe poke their tire valve stems in the paper so they pay attention.

I like it.

Del Cecchi wrote:
Chuck Gould wrote:
[...]

This is the worst time of year for encountering idiots. Lots of charter
boaters, or people taking their boat out for an annual excursion.
There's no excuse for thoughtless operation.

Part of boating is being overtaken by a boat that creates a large wake.
A thoughtful operator of a boat that generates a big wake will not pass
too close to other craft- allowing other vessels time to change heading
or make other adjustments in preparation.
A reasonable operator of a smaller or slower vessel will keep a careful
watch for wakes and not be taken by surprise. The scouts do need to
learn that dealing with a wave or wake is part of being in a canoe- but
there is no excuse for being deliberately inconsiderate.

In the no excuse category: the guy on a sailboard who came shooting out
out from behind the breakwater yesterday burning hell for leather
through a group of boats, (both powerboats and sailboats running
underpower), proceeding slowly and queing up orderly to pass through
the narrow opening into the marina. The sailboarder headed straight for
my stem, and while I gave him as much space as I could I had no time or
space to change course sufficiently to allow him a wide berth. After he
flipped me off, I watched him "slalom" through a half dozen boats
behind me- passing some to port and others to starboard . Sure, he had
the "right of way"- but he had no cause to behave belligerantly when it
was his *own* choice that eliminated most of the options anybody would
have had to accomodate him. I wonder if he's telling tales about the
arsehole boaters who nearly ran him down when he shot out from behind
the breakwater?

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
oups.com...

Welcome back Chuck!

How was your vacation?

JimH wrote:
"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
oups.com...

Welcome back Chuck!

How was your vacation?

Thank you.

Too short. :-)

But I came back with some good stories and photos, and I'll post some
as time allows.

On 14 Aug 2006 17:07:58 -0700, "Chuck Gould"
wrote:

JimH wrote:
"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
oups.com...

Welcome back Chuck!

How was your vacation?

Thank you.

Too short. :-)

But I came back with some good stories and photos, and I'll post some
as time allows.

Don't take forever. We're looking forward to some good Puget Sound
pictures. Glad to see you were able to wade through the hundreds of crap
posts!

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

John

news
wrote:

There are a lot of idiot powerboaters around.

Oh cheez, here we go, another sailor who believes that power boat
owners are required to undergo brain removal before they can purchase.

To a sailboat operator, the prevailing definition of "stupid idiot" is
someone who is going faster than they are when under power.

Sail boats and kayaks have something in common: They are both able to
go where most powerboats can not, although for different reasons.

Too bad they don't go there and celebtate with each other. It would
likely alter the earth's orbit however with all of that brain power
concentrated in one place.

Another Sailor? You talking about me? Haven't sailed in 40 years.
Drive a Lund ProVee. And paddle a canoe in the wilderness on occasion.
Ever try to carry a 18 foot boat with a 115 across a half mile portage
cut through the forest?
Not practical besides being unlawful. See Quetico Provincial Park,
Ontario. Or BWCA for that matter.

But it is often necessary to risk life and limb by crossing lakes used by
many fine people with motorboats and a few idiots.

If you think that there aren't powerboaters out there who are a menace to
anyone in a boat smaller than theirs you haven't been paying attention.
(and I've seen a few be a menace to themselves in the presence of barge
strings on the upper mississippi)

del cecchi