Default Venturing onto Lake Michigan???

Looking for advice on whether to venture onto Lake Michigan or not... I
have an 18' Runabout that we use on lakes and such in Indiana, but
after a recent trip to the dunes (Indiana and Warren) area beaches with
the kids, I noticed folks out having a good time in like crafts and
thought to myself, that looks like fun!

So how bout it Blue Devils? Is it illadvised to venture out in the big
lake with a small craft? Do I need special permits? Where's the best
place to put in? Basically, what do I need to know before thinking
about doing something like this.

I've heard all the horror stories about how the lake can turn evil in
just a few minutes and wouldn't want to get in over my head. We just
wanted to explore some of the coastline in southwest MI that isn't that
easy to get to from land.

Curiousity is killing me....

"Joey916" wrote in message
ups.com...
Looking for advice on whether to venture onto Lake Michigan or not... I
have an 18' Runabout that we use on lakes and such in Indiana, but
after a recent trip to the dunes (Indiana and Warren) area beaches with
the kids, I noticed folks out having a good time in like crafts and
thought to myself, that looks like fun!

So how bout it Blue Devils? Is it illadvised to venture out in the big
lake with a small craft? Do I need special permits? Where's the best
place to put in? Basically, what do I need to know before thinking
about doing something like this.

I've heard all the horror stories about how the lake can turn evil in
just a few minutes and wouldn't want to get in over my head. We just
wanted to explore some of the coastline in southwest MI that isn't that
easy to get to from land.

Curiousity is killing me....
`

A buddy of mine goes out on his 17 to do fishing. As long as you dont go too
far out, you are fine. I did it a few times back when I had my 17 foot
welcraft. Once the weather moves in, you will have issues. The good part of
playing around on the Michigan (state) side, is that its easy to see the
weather pattern move in from the west. So you have some time to clear out.
One thing to remember, is to have a good radio on board.

On that note, a year ago, Tribune ran a story about a guy on a jet ski that
was floating on michigan for 3 days. Coast guard found him dehydrated. The
guy was from florida and assumed he could not drink the water. Anyway - I
thought that was funny.

"Dan J.S." wrote in message

"Joey916" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

He should get himself a handheld marine radio with weather channel. Lately,
here on Lake Ontario, the NWS out of Buffalo has been unbelievably accurate
with their timing of incoming weather.

"Joey916" wrote in message
ups.com...
Looking for advice on whether to venture onto Lake Michigan or not... I
have an 18' Runabout that we use on lakes and such in Indiana, but
after a recent trip to the dunes (Indiana and Warren) area beaches with
the kids, I noticed folks out having a good time in like crafts and
thought to myself, that looks like fun!

So how bout it Blue Devils? Is it illadvised to venture out in the big
lake with a small craft? Do I need special permits? Where's the best
place to put in? Basically, what do I need to know before thinking
about doing something like this.

I've heard all the horror stories about how the lake can turn evil in
just a few minutes and wouldn't want to get in over my head. We just
wanted to explore some of the coastline in southwest MI that isn't that
easy to get to from land.

Curiousity is killing me....

I boat on Lake Erie (western basin) with a 20 footer with no problem.
Lake Erie kicks up must faster than Lake Michigan because it is much
shallower.

Watch the weather forecasts. Don't go out in anything over 1-3 footers (or
when 2-4+ footers are forecast) and stay close to shore (no more than a mile
or so out) and you will be fine.

Also make sure you have a VHF radio on board (fixed mount is preferred).

You can launch from any public launch area, no special permits needed other
than making sure your registration is up to date.

Mr Long.. read this one rhys Cruising 2 January 2nd 05 09:18 PM
Puts Lake Superior to shame Capt. Neal® ASA 5 December 16th 04 05:25 PM
Bad News for Lake Erie: From the Toledo Blade RGrew176 General 4 September 27th 03 03:10 PM
Trip Report -- Across Lake Michigan Dionysus Feldman General 17 September 25th 03 01:42 AM
The 4th and boating.Lake Oroville. basskisser General 9 July 14th 03 06:24 PM