Default Georgian Steel boat

I am fairly new to the group and to boat restoration but have done
several cars over the years. I now have island property in Georgian Bay
and as there is no road access my old car hobby has had to go. I have
no experience with steel hulled vessels, or any with a vessel this
size. I have several fibreglass boats, the largest a 21' Monterey 210
HP stern drive.

I am considering a 1975 34' (without the swim platform) Georgian Steel
boat. It has twin Chrylsers V8s which I am told have been properly
prepared for long term storage. It has been out of the water for 6 yrs.
It has always been used in fresh water. The vessel is a project and the
entire interior with the exception of the head has been gutted. It does
come with a number of items, propane stove, ogen (I think) generator
etc. I have not seen the vessel in person yet but there is one large
section of rust visible in the pictures. It is about the size of the
human head and seems to be above the waterline.

My questions are how good are the Georgian Steel boats, I will be using
this for freshwater use on Georgian Bay. I suspect the visible rust is
very easily repaired and the seller claims that is all the rust there
is on it. Is there anything I should be wary of considering this is a
steel hull vessel? Any concerns on the Chrysler engines?

I am able to weld and also do a lot of woodworking.

Any thoughts/hints/suggestions, either good or bad would be
appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Rob

Sounds like a fun project.

It would probably be useful to read a book on constructing steel vessels.
You can learn a lot about preventive maintenance and coatings from these
books.

Frenec Mate (spelling????) wrote a very good book with a lot of pictures on
finishing out a boat interior. I think it was "From a Bare Hull" but that
may not even be close. That is a book worth reading, IMO, simply for
pleasure. But it could also be helpful to you for a restoration project.

Good luck.

Butch
oups.com...