Default Troubleshooting steam in exhaust

I have a 94' Mercruise 5.7L V8... I haven't run it in about 3 weeks and when
i started it up today on the hose with the muffs, there was steam coming
from the exhaust. (This has never happened before on the hose) Also the one
exhuast elbow was getting warm... I replaced both manifold and elbows last
year, both exhuast flaps, and the impeller was done about 1 year ago.... Can
anyone recommend a trouble shooting list....

Thanks!

Jim Jim is offline

"oelf92" wrote in message
news
I have a 94' Mercruise 5.7L V8... I haven't run it in about 3 weeks and
when i started it up today on the hose with the muffs, there was steam
coming from the exhaust. (This has never happened before on the hose) Also
the one exhuast elbow was getting warm... I replaced both manifold and
elbows last year, both exhuast flaps, and the impeller was done about 1
year ago.... Can anyone recommend a trouble shooting list....

Thanks!

Sounds like the impeller is shot. Was there any water coming out the back?

Jim Jim is offline

Not always, sometimes it comes un-glued and slips, sometimes the blades
curl, sometimes it breaks up just a little. In these cases it might pump but
not enough.

You could have a water pressure problem at your sillcock. Running it in the
lake will let you know if that was the case. Some of these guys have a
pressure equalizing ball assembly that makes sure each riser and or manifold
gets the same water flow.

When you get an overheat like this, the adapter in the upper gearcase that
holds the copper waterpump tube likes to melt down. You need to check this
when you are serviceing the water pump.

"oelf92" wrote in message
Also when the impeller goes does it go completely??? I plan on dropping
it in the lake today to test it.... any suggestions???

"Jim" wrote in message
ink.net...

"oelf92" wrote in message
news
[...]

Another consideration is the possiblity that the previous impeller
fragmented and a piece of it has worked its way into a point in the cooling
system and is restricting the flow of water, which could cause the steam you
see. Make sure the flush hose has enough water to feed the outdrive intake
when flushing. It takes a surprising amount of water to feed the pump.
Keep the rpm down.

Well i just got back from the lake... Result was it was steaming very very
little, BUT the one ehaust elbow was warm which never happened before and
the ehaust tube (where the flaps are) was really hot, never noticed if that
is normal or not..... and the elbow never even got warm in the past always
was cool to the touch.. So i plan on changing the impeller tomorrow...
hopefully that will help...

also the temp gauge never moved was on the cool side... but again, when i
ran it a little hard in the lake the one elbow heated up a little.. anything
can be blocking the elbow???

-m

ink.net...

"oelf92" wrote in message
Also when the impeller goes does it go completely??? I plan on dropping
it in the lake today to test it.... any suggestions???

"Jim" wrote in message
ink.net...

"oelf92" wrote in message
news I have a 94' Mercruise 5.7L V8... I haven't run it in about 3 weeks and
when i started it up today on the hose with the muffs, there was steam
coming from the exhaust. (This has never happened before on the hose)
Also the one exhuast elbow was getting warm... I replaced both manifold
and elbows last year, both exhuast flaps, and the impeller was done
about 1 year ago.... Can anyone recommend a trouble shooting list....

Thanks!

Sounds like the impeller is shot. Was there any water coming out the
back?

Sounds normal to me. The exhaust will get hot you know.

"oelf92" wrote in message
Well i just got back from the lake... Result was it was steaming very very
little, BUT the one ehaust elbow was warm which never happened before and
the ehaust tube (where the flaps are) was really hot, never noticed if
that is normal or not..... and the elbow never even got warm in the past
always was cool to the touch.. So i plan on changing the impeller
tomorrow... hopefully that will help...

also the temp gauge never moved was on the cool side... but again, when i
ran it a little hard in the lake the one elbow heated up a little..
anything can be blocking the elbow???

-m

ink.net...

"oelf92" wrote in message
Also when the impeller goes does it go completely??? I plan on dropping
it in the lake today to test it.... any suggestions???

"Jim" wrote in message
ink.net...

"oelf92" wrote in message
news I have a 94' Mercruise 5.7L V8... I haven't run it in about 3 weeks and
when i started it up today on the hose with the muffs, there was steam
coming from the exhaust. (This has never happened before on the hose)
Also the one exhuast elbow was getting warm... I replaced both
manifold and elbows last year, both exhuast flaps, and the impeller was
done about 1 year ago.... Can anyone recommend a trouble shooting
list....

Thanks!

Sounds like the impeller is shot. Was there any water coming out the
back?

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 19:06:01 -0400, "oelf92"
wrote:

Well i just got back from the lake... Result was it was steaming very very
little, BUT the one ehaust elbow was warm which never happened before and
the ehaust tube (where the flaps are) was really hot, never noticed if that
is normal or not..... and the elbow never even got warm in the past always
was cool to the touch.. So i plan on changing the impeller tomorrow...
hopefully that will help...

also the temp gauge never moved was on the cool side... but again, when i
ran it a little hard in the lake the one elbow heated up a little.. anything
can be blocking the elbow???

-m

link.net...

"oelf92" wrote in message
Also when the impeller goes does it go completely??? I plan on dropping
it in the lake today to test it.... any suggestions???

"Jim" wrote in message
ink.net...

"oelf92" wrote in message
news I have a 94' Mercruise 5.7L V8... I haven't run it in about 3 weeks and
when i started it up today on the hose with the muffs, there was steam
coming from the exhaust. (This has never happened before on the hose)
Also the one exhuast elbow was getting warm... I replaced both manifold
and elbows last year, both exhuast flaps, and the impeller was done
about 1 year ago.... Can anyone recommend a trouble shooting list....

Thanks!

Sounds like the impeller is shot. Was there any water coming out the
back?

You say the exhaust elbow was warm. What did the riser feel like? Both
risers should be about the same temp. On my boat I can put my hand on the
riser for a few seconds before it becomes unbearable. When the riser was
plugged, which sounds like your problem, it was very hot to the touch. If
the impeller is the problem, both risers would be hot.

When you say 'elbow', are you referring to the riser? If so, and one is
much hotter than the other, then you've got a problem with water not
getting to *that* riser. I'd be taking off the riser and manifold. Have you
ever replaced them?
***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

John

well checked out the impeller today and it was in perfect condition... dunno
what to do... i think i might take the entire riser off and look at that...

another thing i don't remember is if the manifolds get EXTREMELY hot.. i
can't touch them for more than 3-4 seconds...

Steam from Exhaust... ToneJohn General 3 September 25th 05 09:43 PM
how do you bend wood into the boat shape? Marcel Boat Building 63 March 29th 04 06:02 AM
Exhaust conversion to thru-hull Tan PS General 1 December 28th 03 04:49 PM
Exhaust conversion to thru-hull Tan PS Boat Building 2 December 25th 03 03:58 PM
Steam in exhaust Grampa Bob General 3 July 21st 03 01:25 PM