Default Where to get info on boat wiring

Yah, it does look like I need to just rewire eveything to make certin
that I cover all bases. The person that I bought the boat from used the
D battery stick on lights but I'm one of those people that like
eveything working. Anyway thanks for all your help.

Jim wrote:
Looks like you have some wire tracing to do.
If that's impossible, you can always run new wires. Hot wires go back to the
respective switches. Grounds go back to a ground block or stud under the
dash. You should see a common point with many black wires attached to it.

wrote in message
oups.com...

Jim wrote:
For parts look at West Marine, Perko, Aquapower, Tempo, Ancor, etc.

Ground problems could include broken wire but insulation remaining
intact,
bad connection between terminal and wire, bad connection between terminal
connectors, tight but corroded connection,bad splice at lamp socket.

A visual inspection doesn't always find the problem. You must use the
meter
or a test light to verify a problem.

The following statement has me puzzled.

"(but I had to find another ground source to verify. So indeed it appears
that the footlight fixtures are bad"

Does that mean you got something to work by bringing a new ground to it?

Yes.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Yes, I have checked the hot side of the switch to insure power then
checked the other side and it reveled power.
On the anchor light I checked to insure that I had a circuit thru the
fixture insuring that the fixture and bulb were ok.

How did you do that? did you ohm it out across the pigtail leads?
Is the anchor light working now?

Forgive me for asking these stupid questions but I need to know in great
detail, how you are coming to your conclusions. If I make a wrong
assumption, I'll be leading you down the wrong path and wasting a lot of
time.

Yes, I ohm it across the leads and the only way that I could get it to
work was to take it straight to the battery (both hot and ground).

Don't worry about wasting time, I have more time then I do money
that's why I appreciate all your help.

On the bow light it
was a little difficult to get to so I haven't done that one yet. On
the footlights I took one out to see if I could buy another's to
replace them but have had no luck. I think that on the footlights it
might be (area 2) the springs. I checked the bulbs and they were ok and
I had power going thru them (but I had to find another ground source to
verify. So indeed it appears that the footlight fixtures are bad but
where can I find others to fit in the existing holes? I have gone to
several boat repair shops and no one has them and my closest Pro-Line
dealer is miles away.
If you could enlighten me on some of the grounding problems it would be
great because I will not be able to work on my boat for about a week
and have no computer access where it is stored.
Thanks for the help Jim

Steve

wrote in message
oups.com...
Jim,
I bought the boat without the lights working. I have the anchor light,
the bow lights, and two foot lights on the center console. There is a
switch for the lights on the center console and a three-way switch for
the bow lights and anchor light. I have tested the switches and have
power coming from the other side of the switch when I turn it on but
when I check the lights themselves I have no power. The wiring runs
throughout the hull with limited access. Any suggestions on where to
look for maybe a broke wire or something?
Thanks for your response and looking forward to hearing back from ya

Jim wrote:
The best chance of finding a wiring diagram is from Proline. It could
also
be that there are none available. What kind of lights are we talking
about?
Are they all turned on and off with the same switch? When was the last
time
at least some of those lights were working?

wrote in message
ups.com...
Anyone out there know how to get a wiring digram for a pro-line boat? I
have a problem with my lights, they don't work. I have checked the
fuses, grounding terminal etc. but can't seem to find out why none of
the lights work. I have a hull number if it might help (PLC00166D686).
If anyone could help I would be most appreciative.
Thanks

If you have power to the switches and no lights on different circuits, you
are missing the ground at a central point. Run a ground wire to any of the
lights and see if all now work. The mising ground will be either at the
battery, least likely, or at a terminal block near the battery.