Default Hazards of Gasoline with Ethanol

I have a female friend who owns a boat and reported that her
service department told her what I would consider to be an
exaggerated tale about new gasoline /ethanol blends which can
cause an engine not to start or die while in service. She has a
outboard. I said I was not aware of any issues, and had seen nothing
major reported in the press. I said I had an I/O with a Chevy V6 and
would not be expecting any more difficulties than would be the
case with my car. She then asked if it could be just an issue
with outboards.
I haven't asked my marina guy about this yet. I did a little Net
research and couldn't find much except something about a possible
reaction with fiberglass fuel tanks.
Can someone clear the air on this issue? She seemed quite
concerned. (I'm not.)
Many thanks for your help!
Frank

frank1492 wrote:
[...]

Thanks for mentioning that fiberglass fuel tank issue again. It's been
covered before but it can't be covered enough until everybody with a
FRP fuel tank knows *not* to put ethanol blended gasoline into it.

I'll bet there could be some issue with runability- particularly when
the gas has been stored in a fiberglass tank. As the ethanol dissolves
the resins in the laminate, it's quite likely that the chemicals stay
in suspension on the gas/ethanol mixture. It could maybe and might
change the combustible characterstics of the fuel itself?

FWB FWB is offline

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 20:23:24 -0000, Chuck Gould
wrote:

Thanks for mentioning that fiberglass fuel tank issue again. It's been
covered before but it can't be covered enough until everybody with a
FRP fuel tank knows *not* to put ethanol blended gasoline into it.

Here's some more on it:

http://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/fueltest.asp

--
Blogging from Pine View Farm--http://frankwbell.no-ip.info/weblog
Updates daily. Worthwhile updates occasionally.

fwb2355 is a spam trap. Email frankwbell at comcast.net

Slackware (http://www.slackware.com) and Opera (http://www.opera.com):
the ultimate internet experience.

Fiberglass also absorbs water and can loose strength due to that.
Regular gas also leaches out the unreacted resins, just much slower.
Even much slower is still not slow enough if you are going to give it
25 years to work on it. It is likely many of these tanks in question
are of dubious condition to start with. Fiberglass is not really the
best choice for a fuel tank.

Imho anyone with a fiberglass fuel tank 25 years old ought to be taking
a pretty critical look at it no matter what gas they are putting in it.

fwb2355 is a spam trap. Email frankwbell at comcast.net

Slackware (http://www.slackware.com) and Opera (http://www.opera.com):
the ultimate internet experience.

There is another danger of mixing ethanol and gasoline:

Consuming ethanol while operating a gasoline-powered equipment is a
deadly combination

frank1492 wrote:
[...]

From Boat\US on Ethanol in gasoline JimH General 2 June 28th 06 08:54 AM
Fuel your gasoline powered boat with wood chips, 2-3 years away? Chuck Gould General 0 June 26th 06 04:22 PM
Ethanol; working now Thom Stewart ASA 22 May 21st 06 07:49 PM
Ethanol: A Tragedy in 3 Acts jlrogers ASA 5 May 3rd 06 02:51 AM
Problems with E-85 by Ed Wallace of Businessweek... [email protected] General 0 April 28th 06 11:42 PM