Default Trailer Wire Repair

My trailer had a wire chewed through by a mouse over the winter. I can
get at the spot that needs to be fixed so I would rather repair it then
pull it all out and rerun wires. Problem is this section of wire will
submerge when launching my boat. What would be recommended to cover
the bare wire after I solder it back together? Thanks for any ideas!

Ancor hot melt glue lined heat shrink. It shrinks, and glues itself to the insulation.
Don't skimp on the length. You can get it in good chandlerly. I've also seen it
at Lowes or Home Depot, but I don't know if their's is marine grade.

Also, as prevention, a cat, preferably the neighbor cat that keeps ****ting in my yard.

"Ron Knapik" wrote in message
Both good suggestions. You can also seal it with silicone sealer. Make a
ball around it. This will seal it from water, air and moisture.

Ron

Good idea but I've read that you have to be careful of what type of silicone
you use. Apparently at least one type has an acid in it that will eat away
and corrode the wire.

Eisboch

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"Ron Knapik" wrote in message
Both good suggestions. You can also seal it with silicone sealer. Make
a ball around it. This will seal it from water, air and moisture.

Ron

Good idea but I've read that you have to be careful of what type of
silicone you use. Apparently at least one type has an acid in it that
will eat away and corrode the wire.

Eisboch

I always wondered about that. Is that why 'dielectric' silicone is
recommended for exposed electrical wiring connections exposed to the
elements?

" JimH" jimhUNDERSCOREosudad@yahooDOTcom wrote in message

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"Ron Knapik" wrote in message
Both good suggestions. You can also seal it with silicone sealer. Make
a ball around it. This will seal it from water, air and moisture.

Ron

Good idea but I've read that you have to be careful of what type of
silicone you use. Apparently at least one type has an acid in it that
will eat away and corrode the wire.

Eisboch

I always wondered about that. Is that why 'dielectric' silicone is
recommended for electrical wiring connections exposed to the elements?

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"Ron Knapik" wrote in message
Both good suggestions. You can also seal it with silicone sealer. Make
a ball around it. This will seal it from water, air and moisture.

Ron

Good idea but I've read that you have to be careful of what type of
silicone you use. Apparently at least one type has an acid in it that
will eat away and corrode the wire.

Eisboch

I always wondered about that. Is that why 'dielectric' silicone is
recommended for exposed electrical wiring connections exposed to the
elements?

Not really. A dielectric means it will conduct electricity.
I can't remember right now which of the silicone "sealers" is the one to
avoid when sealing electrical connections, but I do remember the issue about
it corroding the wires over time.

Eisboch

http://www.neelyindustries.com/pdf/738.pdf#search='silicone%20sealant%20electrical'

Eisboch

"Eisboch" wrote in message

Not really. A dielectric means it will conduct electricity.

Dielectric means it insulates not conducts.

FWB FWB is offline

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 18:49:09 -0000, Bose wrote:

What would be recommended to cover
the bare wire after I solder it back together?

I would recommend tying a new wire to end of the old wire and just pulling
it through.

If you don't do that, then don't solder the wire. The bouncing of a boat
or a boat trailer will break the solder sooner or later--clamp it, then
put shrink wrap around it to seal it (you can get the
shrink-with-a-hair-dryer kind at Radio Shack for very small change. But
by the time you get the shrink wrap to where you want it, it will have
been more trouble then pulling a new wire.

Electrical tape will hold when wet for a while, but will eventually
unravel.

--
Blogging from Pine View Farm--http://frankwbell.no-ip.info/weblog
Updates daily. Worthwhile updates occasionally.

fwb2355 is a spam trap. Email frankwbell at comcast.net

Slackware (http://www.slackware.com) and Opera (http://www.opera.com):
the ultimate internet experience.