Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Another boating first and boat-in camping summary

After a great weekend of boat-in camping ...

The boat-in campsite was excellent! Plenty of shade from the hot sun under
some mature Oak trees. Set just inside the no wake zone at the end of the
skiing area so no travel time between skiiing, wakeboarding, tubing, and
"cab driving". After the initial no wake zone at the launch it was full
speed through the no ski zone then a short hop across the ski zone to the
campsite. The campsite being in the no wake zone also made for a great safe
swimming area for everyone.

We had 6 twelve year old girls and a 7 year old (with no fear of water or
tubing), 4 boys age 14-16, and 4 MOM's. One dad helped deliver people and
goods on day one and I was present from sunrise to sunset each day to take
kids skiing, wakeboarding, and tubing. I also got to share all my ng-based
small boat water knowledge as needed (when asked). Felt good to share what
I've learned from practicing what this ng has offered.

The overnighters had to contend with marauding raccoons, but they were
rewarded at sunrise with what they swear were otters swimming near the
island 40 yards away. Remember, I was in a fresh water reservoir in the
coastal foothills of Northern California. I'm not sure what they saw, but
they think it was otters; I've got to ask the ranger's about this. Fish
jumping, turkey vultures sunning themselves on tree branches with wings
spread wide. Heron's coming and going and wading.

I was hoping I could talk my kids into sunrise launches after letting them
see firsthand how great the lake is before the wind and boats arrive. I
guess for teens being up early in the summer is ok when they're camping, but
is nonsensical when they're at home in a soft warm bed. I guess that just
means more camping trips with the boat!

Oh yeah, the first? These were all firsts for us, but I'm referring to my
wife's first time driving the boat onto the trailer from the water. A
perfect landing! Now our launching and retrieving skills have opened up a
whole new world for us. She can bring the boat in while I bring the
trailer down; no more waiting for dock space!

Still some summer left, so get out there and enjoy. For some of you, summer
doesn't end in late August when school starts, but for some of us, summer
comes to an end way too early. I'm grabbing every day I can get while the
gettin's good.