Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
frank1492

Default Frozen Gimbal Bearings on 1988 Cobra

I have until tomorrow night to get these freed up!
I do not know whether it's the top or the bottom bearing.
I do know that the power steering seems to be working normally-
it's clear it's the gimbal bearings because there is no play at all
in the gimbal- it is frozen in position. as if it were welded.
I have tried prying left to right with a wrecking bar and giving
the lower unit light taps left to right and right to left with a
sledge hammer. (Don't worry- nothing serious as I am aware
of stresses and danger I will crack something or damage the
power tilt bearings.) Nothing budges.
There is a bracket up and under that has three bolts and
appears to center the lower bearing. I have loosened these.
There is also a cover at the top of the intermediate housing.
Under this is a small stainless plate with four nuts and a bolt
down the middle. I have removed all of these and applied
penetrating oil but I know I am not getting at the area that
needs it.
Can someone help me here? It's obvious these bearings
have not gotten lubricated properly, despite my best efforts.
Your help is much appreciated or it's going to be a slow
holday weekend!!!
Frank
P.S. Would removing the rearmost part of the drive help?