basskisser

Default Compressor Revisited

Harry Krause wrote:
Amazon got my new Makita compressor to me today, as promised, in two
delivery days, and without charging me for shipping.

It arrived in a sturdy, padded cardboard box via FEDEX. No damage.

So, I opened the pressure and regulator valves, poured in the oil and
let it run for its 20-minute break-in, per the manual. Yes, I RTFM.

It's very quiet, much more quiet than any other similar compressor I
have encountered. Makita was not lying. Seems to be nicely made, too.

Now, I have a set of Porter Cable accessories, but I don't seem to have
any nylon tape around. I presume, and this is my question, that one
still needs to use nylon tape on air tool screw-in fittings? Or has
technology changed?

I would certainly use Teflon tape. I hate leaks.

Reginald P. Smithers III

basskisser wrote:
Harry Krause wrote:
Amazon got my new Makita compressor to me today, as promised, in two
delivery days, and without charging me for shipping.

It arrived in a sturdy, padded cardboard box via FEDEX. No damage.

So, I opened the pressure and regulator valves, poured in the oil and
let it run for its 20-minute break-in, per the manual. Yes, I RTFM.

It's very quiet, much more quiet than any other similar compressor I
have encountered. Makita was not lying. Seems to be nicely made, too.

Now, I have a set of Porter Cable accessories, but I don't seem to have
any nylon tape around. I presume, and this is my question, that one
still needs to use nylon tape on air tool screw-in fittings? Or has
technology changed?

I would certainly use Teflon tape. I hate leaks.

Bassy,
So would I, but I can't think of any reason it is neccessary, which was
Harry's question. The leak would be so little, I don't think the leak
would impact on the funtionality of the tool or the compressor. Unless
you were keeping the compressor on you would never notice the tiny leak
around the threads.

--
Reggie

That's my story and I am sticking to it!
Eisboch

"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in message
. ..

Bassy,
So would I, but I can't think of any reason it is neccessary, which was
Harry's question. The leak would be so little, I don't think the leak
would impact on the funtionality of the tool or the compressor. Unless
you were keeping the compressor on you would never notice the tiny leak
around the threads.

A leak-less compressor and reserve tank comes in handy when you have to
supply air to something (like a flat tire) at a remote location where
there's no power available, although most compressor/tank setups that I've
seen have an adjustable pressure regulator that you can set to "zero",
preserving the tank charge. (assuming *it* doesn't leak).

I do the Teflon tape though. I don't like leaks and I leave mine fully
charged up and plugged in at all times.

Eisboch

JohnH

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 17:46:24 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

[...]

My compressor has no tank (Sears 'el cheapo'), so I don't worry about
saving air. As I need different nozzles for every damn thing, finger tight
(with leaks) works just fine.

In your scenario, I'd definitely use tape and a wrench.
--
John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
jiminfl

basskisser wrote:
Harry Krause wrote:
[...]

Valid points all. Here's another one. Suppose Harry wants to keep the
compressor at the ready all the time. Wouldn't he want to keep things
as leak free as possible?
That's my story and I will change it if necessary.

basskisser wrote:
Harry Krause wrote:
[...]

This is all true, but if a tank leaks, you don't have the ability to
turn it on, compress air in the tank, then take it to somewhere. Lets
say you keep your trailer in a yard 15 miles away. With the small
tank(s), you would have little or no air when you got there. Besides,
there's no reason to not do the job correctly!