wingspan

Default 6 hp Johnson high speed jet

My 6 hp Johnson has developed a problem. No gas above the midrange
throttle setting. I can choke it and get a spurt of power, but nothing
without choking. I know the high speed jet is at the bottom of the
carb, but is there a way to get to it without pulling the carb? The
lower motor housing doesn't leave much room for working down there.

Thanks in advance.

trainfan1

wingspan wrote:
My 6 hp Johnson has developed a problem. No gas above the midrange
throttle setting. I can choke it and get a spurt of power, but nothing
without choking. I know the high speed jet is at the bottom of the
carb, but is there a way to get to it without pulling the carb? The
lower motor housing doesn't leave much room for working down there.

Thanks in advance.

Year?

It's probably much easier to pull the carb - 2 nuts, the choke link, and
the fuel line is all it takes(the cam follower for the throttle stays on
the carb). When you have it on the bench, clean it out well(bowl & all
orifices, high speed jet), flush the fuel line, pump & screen, adjust
the float, and you should be good to go.

If you want to try to pull the high speed jet plug/bowl drain and flush
the jet out on the engine with the primer bulb, just use a large rag to
catch the fuel. Once you loosen the plug a little, it should come out
easily by hand.

Rob
wingspan

trainfan1 wrote:
Year?

1965

It's probably much easier to pull the carb - 2 nuts, the choke link, and
the fuel line is all it takes(the cam follower for the throttle stays on
the carb). When you have it on the bench, clean it out well(bowl & all
orifices, high speed jet), flush the fuel line, pump & screen, adjust
the float, and you should be good to go.

2 nuts, yes. But I can't get there from here. I'd have to pull the
recoil starter to get at the one on the right.

If you want to try to pull the high speed jet plug/bowl drain and flush
the jet out on the engine with the primer bulb, just use a large rag to
catch the fuel. Once you loosen the plug a little, it should come out
easily by hand.

This was the tip I was looking for! I pulled the bowl drain and flushed
the jet with the primer bulb. A couple of pieces of trash flowed out,
and now the engine runs like a top.

Thanks for the help!!

trainfan1

wingspan wrote:
trainfan1 wrote:

Year?

1965

[...]

You're welcome.

Glad it was that easy!

Rob

Iran high speed torpedo Joe ASA 22 April 4th 06 06:43 PM
Ping:... Joe Capt.Mooron ASA 24 March 31st 06 08:06 PM
regeneration of energy reducing max speed Jonathan Ganz ASA 1 January 27th 06 06:56 PM
Johnson & Evinrude V6 engines - Gasket Set GMails Boat Building 0 December 27th 05 01:07 PM
Johnson 30 overheat warning fault brianM General 4 December 10th 05 02:04 AM