Reginald P. Smithers III

Default New Hat for boating and photos

For years I have worn Baseball style Caps when boating. I liked the
long brim and the fact that if it actually blew off and I could not turn
the boat around quick enough, it was not too expensive to replace.

I have since found out they don't work well when taking photographs. I
am looking at the Tilley Hats (LT3 or LT6) as a new hat that will work
when I have a camera stuck to my nose. Does anyone have any
recommendations for a light weight, cool (not hot) hat that does not get
in the way when taking photos?
--
Reggie

That's my story and I am sticking to it!
JoeSpareBedroom

"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in message
. ..
For years I have worn Baseball style Caps when boating. I liked the long
brim and the fact that if it actually blew off and I could not turn the
boat around quick enough, it was not too expensive to replace.

I have since found out they don't work well when taking photographs. I am
looking at the Tilley Hats (LT3 or LT6) as a new hat that will work when I
have a camera stuck to my nose. Does anyone have any recommendations for
a light weight, cool (not hot) hat that does not get in the way when
taking photos?
--
Reggie

I've had Tilley hats for years, but they are NOT cool to wear. They can be
soaked in water, and that makes quite an improvement in terms of comfort.

I understand they now sell some that are lighter than their traditional
models, but I have no experience with these.

Reginald P. Smithers III wrote:
For years I have worn Baseball style Caps when boating. I liked the
long brim and the fact that if it actually blew off and I could not turn
the boat around quick enough, it was not too expensive to replace.

I have since found out they don't work well when taking photographs. I
am looking at the Tilley Hats (LT3 or LT6) as a new hat that will work
when I have a camera stuck to my nose. Does anyone have any
recommendations for a light weight, cool (not hot) hat that does not get
in the way when taking photos?
--
Reggie

I have had a natural coloured canvas T3 with green underside for more
years than I can remember. This is my sailing hat...but the larger brim
tends to flop up in windy conditions.
Although it looks slightly goofy. the two tie-ons work great..and when
wet the canvas stiffens up and sheds rain pretty well.

I bought a 'dressier' LT5 to wear to work...but the so called 'tropical
weight' nylon fabric is too warm for nova Scotia weather...let alone
south of the border. keeps it's shape better than my older T3 and
because it's khaki, doesn't show sweat stains.

Reginald P. Smithers III

wrote:
[...]

Don,
So you prefer the T3 because the LT5 is too heavy? Those are suppossed
to be the lightweight models. Is it too warm because it doesn't
breathe? I think I would prefer the cotton or hemp models if they are
not too heavy.
--
Reggie

That's my story and I am sticking to it!
Dan J.S.

"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in message
. ..
For years I have worn Baseball style Caps when boating. I liked the long
brim and the fact that if it actually blew off and I could not turn the
boat around quick enough, it was not too expensive to replace.

I have since found out they don't work well when taking photographs. I am
looking at the Tilley Hats (LT3 or LT6) as a new hat that will work when I
have a camera stuck to my nose. Does anyone have any recommendations for
a light weight, cool (not hot) hat that does not get in the way when
taking photos?
--
Reggie

That's my story and I am sticking to it!

Rub some sun screen in your head and don't wear a hat. I have never worn a
hat on a boat.

Reginald P. Smithers III wrote:
For years I have worn Baseball style Caps when boating. I liked the
long brim and the fact that if it actually blew off and I could not turn
the boat around quick enough, it was not too expensive to replace.

I have since found out they don't work well when taking photographs. I
am looking at the Tilley Hats (LT3 or LT6) as a new hat that will work
when I have a camera stuck to my nose. Does anyone have any
recommendations for a light weight, cool (not hot) hat that does not get
in the way when taking photos?
--
Reggie

That's my story and I am sticking to it!

A Tilley hat?

All I can say is that you will need to also wear a tee shirt with your
boat builder's logo on it.
You might otherwise be misclassified by folks ashore. One sure sign of
a sailor? A Tilley hat. :-)

I seldom wear a hat unless it is bright and sunny, so needless to say a
hard brimmed hat infrequently interferes with photographing boats in
the Pacific NW. I have found that turning a baseball hat backwards
solves the problem, but it does look a bit silly for a grey haired guy
in his middle 50's to be stylin' like a teenager.

You might try a "campaign" hat. You can find them in military surplus
stores. They are essentially a cloth hat with a wide, circular brim.
Sometimes they are camo colored. The brims aren't entirely stiff, but
neither are they so flimsy that they fall down over the ears like a
couple of flaps. When you need to get the camera up to your eye, the
soft brim should just push up out of the way. Among my collection of a
couple of dozen hats is one of these "campaign" models, and I can
recommend it for the purposes you mention.

Aren't Tilley hats about a hundred bucks? (maybe not, that's just an
informal impression)
I think you can buy a campaign hat in a Mil Surplus store for probably
$20 or less.

Reginald P. Smithers III

Aren't Tilley hats about a hundred bucks? (maybe not, that's just an
informal impression)
I think you can buy a campaign hat in a Mil Surplus store for probably
$20 or less.

In fact, here you go. If it blows overboard, you're out $15.95. :-)

http://www.millerhats.com/armyhats_catalog/index.html

Chuck,
Great suggestion, but, I did find the perfect Hat. I was extremely
light weight, had an extra wide brim, so it would protect my face and
stop my neck from getting RED, is ventilated on the top to help it stay
ever cooler, and it doesn't look half bad. The bill folds up very easy
when I am using the camera.

The best part is it was in stock at REI.

http://www.tilley.com/detail.asp?cat...productNo=LTM6

Since it was at REI, you know it has to be reasonably priced.

--
Reggie

That's my story and I am sticking to it!
RLM

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 08:28:29 -0400, Reginald P. Smithers III wrote:

For years I have worn Baseball style Caps when boating. I liked the
long brim and the fact that if it actually blew off and I could not turn
the boat around quick enough, it was not too expensive to replace.

I have since found out they don't work well when taking photographs. I
am looking at the Tilley Hats (LT3 or LT6) as a new hat that will work
when I have a camera stuck to my nose. Does anyone have any
recommendations for a light weight, cool (not hot) hat that does not get
in the way when taking photos?

I've had one of these for years. The longer I keep it the more character
it has. Cool, light weight and provides just the right amount of shade.

http://www.panamajack.com/detail.aspx?ID=525