Default Starting motor, Force 70 hp

Any help would be welcome. 70 hp force. Starter sometimes starts
motor but only if it starts in a couple seconds. Otherwise the starter
shaft spins and the pinion ingages the flywheel but does not spin with
the starter motor shaft. The battery checks out fine and all
connections are clean and tight. I'm sure someone has had this problem
and can tell me what's wrong. Thanks

If what your saying is the gear engages, but the starter motor keeps
spinning but won't turn the flywheel?

If thats the case then the pinion clutch (bendix) is bad. it's an easy
replacement and the "bendix" isn't an expensive item.

wrote:
Any help would be welcome. 70 hp force. Starter sometimes starts
motor but only if it starts in a couple seconds. Otherwise the starter
shaft spins and the pinion ingages the flywheel but does not spin with
the starter motor shaft. The battery checks out fine and all
connections are clean and tight. I'm sure someone has had this problem
and can tell me what's wrong. Thanks

jesse

Clams Canino wrote:
Sounds like the bendix. Or you're misreading a sneeze that kicks the pinion
out.

-W

" wrote in message
oups.com...
Any help would be welcome. 70 hp force. Starter sometimes starts
motor but only if it starts in a couple seconds. Otherwise the starter
shaft spins and the pinion ingages the flywheel but does not spin with
the starter motor shaft. The battery checks out fine and all
connections are clean and tight. I'm sure someone has had this problem
and can tell me what's wrong. Thanks

I had the same thing happen on a 76' 115 Merc. The cog separated from
the screw shaft. I JB welded it until the new one came which was good
enough for the rest of my maintenance tasks.

Hard starting... (my mercruiser V8 350) oelf92 General 4 June 7th 06 03:07 AM
Hand Starting Bukh Diesel Cruising 2 June 7th 06 01:20 AM
Starting 1150 Merk Don Dando General 1 April 23rd 06 12:42 PM
How to Start an Outboard Motor Without Actually Starting It? [email protected] General 5 November 29th 05 02:20 AM