tomrosetti

Default MerCruiser Loss of Power

I have a 2000 MerCruiser Horizon V-8. It refuses to achieve greater than
2800 RPM (3200 RPM if the Fire arrestor is removed). Top end has been
5,000 RPM. In fact, in neutral, it will rev at 5,000 RPM where it seems
to be limited by a governor.

This problem started to occur several weeks ago and would clear up when I
ran at 3/4 throttle for awhile, making a step change from 2800 RPM to 3000
RPM at 3/4 throttle and achieving 4500 to 5000 RPM at full throttle. As
time went on, the problem got worse, taking longer to make the step change
from 2800 to 3000 RPM and now I can only get 2800 RPM at full throttle.

Any (helpful) suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

basskisser

tomrosetti wrote:
I have a 2000 MerCruiser Horizon V-8. It refuses to achieve greater than
2800 RPM (3200 RPM if the Fire arrestor is removed). Top end has been
5,000 RPM. In fact, in neutral, it will rev at 5,000 RPM where it seems
to be limited by a governor.

This problem started to occur several weeks ago and would clear up when I
ran at 3/4 throttle for awhile, making a step change from 2800 RPM to 3000
RPM at 3/4 throttle and achieving 4500 to 5000 RPM at full throttle. As
time went on, the problem got worse, taking longer to make the step change
from 2800 to 3000 RPM and now I can only get 2800 RPM at full throttle.

Any (helpful) suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

I'd NEVER rev an engine to 5k rpm with no load on it, to start with.
That being said, it sounds like it is either out of time, or a fuel
delivery problem. Now, that's just a stab, it could be many, many
things. I'd personally look at fuel filters, contaminated fuel, etc.
first.

trainfan1

tomrosetti wrote:

I have a 2000 MerCruiser Horizon V-8. It refuses to achieve greater than
2800 RPM (3200 RPM if the Fire arrestor is removed). Top end has been
5,000 RPM. In fact, in neutral, it will rev at 5,000 RPM where it seems
to be limited by a governor.

This problem started to occur several weeks ago and would clear up when I
ran at 3/4 throttle for awhile, making a step change from 2800 RPM to 3000
RPM at 3/4 throttle and achieving 4500 to 5000 RPM at full throttle. As
time went on, the problem got worse, taking longer to make the step change
from 2800 to 3000 RPM and now I can only get 2800 RPM at full throttle.

Any (helpful) suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

I suspect the engine control module, once you've eliminated blocked fuel
lines/tank pickup(check fuel pressure to injectors w/ remote gauge under
way).

Rob

Delay on timer relay for AC power supplies [email protected] Electronics 4 February 7th 06 08:25 PM
Sunball...5X more power Larry Cruising 4 February 3rd 06 03:02 AM
power cords and plugs RB Electronics 3 January 29th 06 08:37 PM
Water generator or Solar power questions Skip Gundlach Cruising 1 December 2nd 05 05:07 AM