Reginald P. Smithers III

Default More rebuild and refit photos, grounding the mast?

Wayne.B wrote:
On 11 Jun 2006 10:13:19 -0700, "
wrote:

2) The old wooden mast wasn't much of a lightning hazard, but the new
mast would serve as an excellent conductor in the event of a lightning
strike. Ideas for grounding? Is it important to ground it?

The mast should definitely be grounded, preferably in several
different ways. By doing that, the mast behaves much like the
lightning rods on a building, bleeding off accumulated charge before
it builds into a full strike. That said, sailboat masts still get hit
very frequently, and damage to electronic equipment is not uncommon.

At dock or anchored, very large sailboats frequently hang zinc "fish"
from the rigging wires into the water to provide additional
protection. I do that with our GB49 here in south Florida where
thunderstorms are an almost daily event during the summer months. Not
sure if it really helps, but it feels like I'm doing something
proactive.

Wayne,
No one really knows if any of the lightening protection methods work,
but it does give you are warm and fuzzy feeling.
Jim

wrote:
Additional photos of the rebuild and refit project are now at:

http://www.pbase.com/gould/extreme_makeover

Things are beginning to go back together rapidly. Bow thruster
scheduled to go in next week.
With any luck will be launching in two weekends.

There will be a new aluminum mast and boom installed. I suppose the
yard has this all figured out, but just in case,........

1) The painted aluminum mast will be stepped into a bronze fitting.
With dissimilar metals in contact there is a potential for
electrolysis. Being a stinkpotter and therefore relatively
inexperienced with masts, what precautions, if any, should one take?

Chuck:
I just did this. Took mast down, added winch (The dinghy gets heavier
every year), and repainted.

http://thumb17.webshots.com/t/60/160...7RpIxrP_th.jpg

Same situation. I used discs of nylon between the parts and lots of
anti seize compound on the hinge pin.

Note the flooring. It's for trade show flooring, and play surfaces for
children. Wonderful stuff. Stays put, has non skid, uv resistant,
sound deadening, feels good under foot, and is very inexpensive ($1.38 a
sq. foot).

Available only on the web at www.softtiles.com

2) The old wooden mast wasn't much of a lightning hazard, but the new
mast would serve as an excellent conductor in the event of a lightning
strike. Ideas for grounding? Is it important to ground it?

Mine isn't grounded. Yet.

surfnturf

"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote:
Wayne,
No one really knows if any of the lightening protection methods work, but
it does give you are warm and fuzzy feeling.

At least for a stroke or two...
surfnturf