Mike

Default looking for advice in Phila

Hey guys,
About 2 years ago I bought a 1977 25' Carver Santa Cruz for a great
price, very used, and in need of a little work. I'd been looking for a
boat for a long time, and in retrospect I should have asked a few more
questions, or, say, insisted on watching it run. But I was young,
excited, and thrilled I could afford it. When I got it back to the
warehouse where I'd arranged to store it, I realized it needed more
than just a little work...
In any case, what I thought would be an easy endeavor has turned
into a 2 year saga. Besides a thousand cosmetic details, I replaced a
solenoid and got the engine to turn over using a wrench to bypass the
ignition (don't worry, I only ran it for half a second and I even
bought a hose adapter for the raw water intake, though I can't seem to
get the thing to work right). Bottom line is, it doesn't run when I
turn the key, which probably suggests a bad ignition switch. I'm
trusting it's just that. Then, there's the sterndrive. The guy I
bought the boat from (in the only honest thing he did for me during the
transaction) told me the seal around the stern drive should be replaced
at some point. Now, I have stood on the boat while it was in the
water, so I know it floats...but considering he told me the boat ran,
which it didn't, I'm wary of his claim.
Having gotten to the point where I just want to get the boat in the
water and then continue my work there, I'm tempted to risk it and trust
the old sterndrive seal. I got an estimate from Philadelphia Boat
Supply for $800 ($200 for the parts, $600 for labor), and I can't
stress enough how hesitant I am to put down money like that if it's not
absolutely necessary, especially after all I've invested in it so far.
On the other hand, I don't want to watch my boat sink just because I
didn't make the improvements.
Does anyone have suggestions? If you're from Philadelphia or the
Delaware River area, I'd love to get in touch with you regardless,
because I'm in high school and undertaking this alone, and I'm having
trouble finding local contacts. The only reliable mechanics I can find
are at Phila Boat Supply, which as I said is a very expensive place.
I'm also looking for someone to haul the boat the half mile to the
river, through the city.

Thanks so much,
Mike