El Penguini

Default I reveresed my battery and now....

I appear to only have two cylinders firing. I have a 100 HP Yamaha
4-stroke. I inadvertently reversed the polarity and tried to start it.
We replaced the fuse and it started, but ran rough. today we removed
and cleaned the plugs (too late to get new ones).

Anyone have any words of advice. (my wife is taking care of telling
what MORON I am, so you can skip those emails).

John Gaquin

"El Penguini" wrote in message

Anyone have any words of advice.

Next time, have your wife connect the battery.

El Penguini

Are these the best responses the Internet has to offer? I was looking
for some real help, not this crap.

JoeSpareBedroom

"El Penguini" wrote in message
oups.com...
Are these the best responses the Internet has to offer? I was looking
for some real help, not this crap.

Crap? You motor has an electronic ignition module, which mechanics will call
"the computer". Just about everything else in the motor involves fat wires
which were not likely to be damaged. Chances are very good that a repair
shop can test the ignition module. If you want to get back to boating more
quickly, you'll take that next step. Otherwise, you can whine and search the
web for the next week or three. It's up to you.

JohnH

On 28 May 2006 04:40:06 -0700, "El Penguini"
wrote:

Are these the best responses the Internet has to offer? I was looking
for some real help, not this crap.

You may have gotten the best answers available from those who were up late
last night or early this morning. Some of the actual mechanic guys may not
be here until later. Don't get upset (too much) with a few 'smart assed'
replies. The knowledgeable folks will (hopefully) weigh in later. Some
folks don't visit the group on weekends, some folks are smart-asses, most
here don't know much about Yamaha 4-stroke engines, and there is a small
percentage that *may* have an idea to help you diagnose the problem.

You may have already received the best advice - visit a Yamaha shop and see
what (chips, etc.) you may have burned up.

Good luck. You've got my sympathy, if nothing useful!
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
Reginald P. Smithers

wrote:

[...]

While there were some jokes along the way, as you pointed out,he really
did get the only advice anyone can give over the Internet.

Harry, Lost, Joe and even John gave this guy really good advice, he just
was not able to understand it. If he thought their responses were crap
he obviously not only does not have the equipment or the skills to
repair the OB, but is obviously new to Usenet if he found these

" Time to visit the Yamaha shop and have them check what you burned up!"

Right. Maybe the computer module. Take out a 2nd mortgage right away.
:-( And, don't tell your wife what you did.

Next time, have your wife connect the battery.

Crap? You motor has an electronic ignition module, which mechanics will
call
"the computer". Just about everything else in the motor involves fat wires
which were not likely to be damaged. Chances are very good that a repair
shop can test the ignition module. If you want to get back to boating more
quickly, you'll take that next step. Otherwise, you can whine and search
the
web for the next week or three. It's up to you.

You have a modern outboard motor heavily dependent upon electronics.
When you tried to start the motor with the battery polarity reversed,
you probably damaged some circuitry in the motor, possibly the computer.
You probably are going to need diagnostic equipment and the skills to
know how to use it to fix it. If you don't have the gear and the skills,
you're going to have to seek out a competent outboard repairman.

Suggestion: put a dab of flame red nail polish on the top of the PLUS
terminals of your batteries and on the exterior of the clamps on the
PLUS cables of your wiring. Next time you mess around with the battery,
terminals and cables, if you don't see "RED" everywhere, stop what you
are doing.

--
Reggie

That's my story and I am sticking to it.
JohnH

wrote:

[...]

Good morning, Sir Reginald.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
JoeSpareBedroom

wrote:

[...]

OB, but is obviously new to Usenet if he found these responses offensive.

[...]

I agree. A friend of mine has two stupid dogs who chewed a wire harness to
pieces in his John Deere tractor. He found the dogs trying to squeeze their
heads under his Jaguar next. Why he didn't kill them is beyond me. But,
another friend and I arrived at that moment and did the right thing: Offered
him a beer, the use of one of our handguns, some smartass comments which he
understood as being the traditional first way of addressing mechanical
issues. This is normal.