Calif Bill

Default Salvage?

http://www.oregonlive.com/search/ind...?ylccsd&coll=7

Hope the judge awards damages to the boat owner.

Reginald P. Smithers

The judge may rule that the salvage claim is not legitimate, but I can
not imagine a judge awarding damages to the owner.

Calif Bill

"Reginald P. Smithers" wrote in message
oups.com...
The judge may rule that the salvage claim is not legitimate, but I can
not imagine a judge awarding damages to the owner.

Would be nice to award legal costs to the boat owner. A little message to
the bad guys.

Reginald P. Smithers

Somehow I have to believe the owner must have had insurance on the
boat, if so, all legal fees would be paid for by his insurance company.
My guess is they will finally settle for substantially less than the
10% of value, but substatially more than the $300 average tow.

basskisser

Calif Bill wrote:
http://www.oregonlive.com/search/ind...?ylccsd&coll=7

Hope the judge awards damages to the boat owner.

What damages?

JimH

"basskisser" wrote in message
oups.com...

Calif Bill wrote:
http://www.oregonlive.com/search/ind...?ylccsd&coll=7

Hope the judge awards damages to the boat owner.

What damages?

Punitive.

Reginald P. Smithers

I think Basskisser was asking what damages has the boat owner suffered?
If the boat owner has insurance, it is the insurance company is taking
this to court.
While the Tow Company may not prove his case, and be able to prove this
was truely a salvage situation, it would probably not be considered a
false claim.

time will tell, but I am willing to bet that no damages will be awarded
to the boat owner or insurance company. I would guess the insurance
company will settle prior to a judgement.

Calif Bill

"Reginald P. Smithers" wrote in message
oups.com...
I think Basskisser was asking what damages has the boat owner suffered?
If the boat owner has insurance, it is the insurance company is taking
this to court.
While the Tow Company may not prove his case, and be able to prove this
was truely a salvage situation, it would probably not be considered a
false claim.

time will tell, but I am willing to bet that no damages will be awarded
to the boat owner or insurance company. I would guess the insurance
company will settle prior to a judgement.

Maybe he is self insured. And the insurance company will probably not
settle this one prior to judgement. To easy of a case to win foir them and
swat down a lot of other cases of the same sort early on.

Reginald P. Smithers

I wish it was as cut and dry as you think, let us know of the outcome.

Calif Bill wrote:
http://www.oregonlive.com/search/ind...?ylccsd&coll=7

Hope the judge awards damages to the boat owner.

Am I not getting this straight? the "tow" company invited themselves to
pull the damaged vessel out of the way, NOW they are wanting "Salvage"
rights to it????