Wayne.B

Default Turning Pig Poop into Boat Fuel

On Thu, 11 May 2006 09:38:55 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

Now the plan is to move from the lab to a full-sized pilot reactor on a
farm somewhere Downstate. Zhang predicts the process could get 3.6
gallons of crude oil a day out of each pig.

It sounds like we could get by with only three pigs unless our diesel
consumption goes up from the current average. When I first saw the
report I was concerned that we'd need more like a dozen or so.

So that's my story when the wife and neighbors complain, lucky we only
needed three.

wrote:

Now the plan is to move from the lab to a full-sized pilot reactor on a
farm somewhere Downstate. Zhang predicts the process could get 3.6
gallons of crude oil a day out of each pig.

It sounds like we could get by with only three pigs unless our diesel
consumption goes up from the current average. When I first saw the
report I was concerned that we'd need more like a dozen or so.

So that's my story when the wife and neighbors complain, lucky we only
needed three.

Pigs are among the most intelligent animals, so I believe we can get
double duty from the critters without too much effort.

I plan to rig a treadmill down in the engine room, and put three
porkers on the belt. I'll lure them along with corn dangled on a line,
but of course I'll have to let them have a taste of corn once in a
while or they will soon tire of chasing the cob. My first question is
whether or not this will constitute a sort of "ethanol" propulsion
system, since I will be turning corn into motive power for my boat.

Now of course these same pigs won't be able to run too many hours
non-stop, so I'll install a system to recover pig poop from the bilge
and I'll set up a poop refinery on the swim step.
Ought to be able to make enough fuel while underway to be able to run
the engine whenever the pigs "poop out".

RCE

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:

[...]

Methinks all you will accomplish is having in shape, skinny pigs.

RCE

Wayne.B

On Thu, 11 May 2006 21:02:55 -0400, "RCE" wrote:

Methinks all you will accomplish is having in shape, skinny pigs.

And really tough bacon...

JohnH

wrote:

[...]

You echo the words of my grandfather, a Minnesota farmer, who always said
pigs were the smartest of farm animals. Chickens are the most stupid.

Oh, BTW, do you know what the white stuff in chicken poop is?

*

*

*

*

*

....just more chicken poop!
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

JohnH wrote:

You echo the words of my grandfather, a Minnesota farmer, who always said
pigs were the smartest of farm animals. Chickens are the most stupid.

Your grandfather learned through simple observation the same fact that
scientists continue to verfiy.Based up certain standards of
"intelligence", pigs are smarter than dogs, smarter than several
species of primates, and are often considered about as advanced as a
three-year-old human being. Pigs are also one of the animals considered
most biologicaly similar
to people, and there are certain organs that can even be transplanted
from pigs to humans.
One "skill" at which pigs are apparently very adept is playing video
games. With specialized
porcine joysticks, pigs can actually learn to play some of the simplest
video games at a level that is typical for a human toddler.

Pigs have an exceptional sense of smell. They are used to find
mushrooms that grow entirely underground, as the pigs can smell them on
the surface. A bomb-sniffing or "seeing eye" pig might not be all that
far fetched a concept. :-)

JohnH

On 12 May 2006 08:24:10 -0700, "
wrote:

JohnH wrote:

[...]

Hey, I'm probably one of the few people here that actually had a pig,
Porky, for a pet! I think I posted a picture of Porky 'over there' a while
back, but if there's lots of interest I'll do it again!

Porky was a pet until he got so heavy his front hoof went through the
cushion on the sofa when he was jumping up to get in my lap. It was a
tearful moment when Porky went the way of most pigs, to bacon, roasts, pork
chops, and ribs.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
basskisser

JohnH wrote:
On 12 May 2006 08:24:10 -0700, "
wrote:

JohnH wrote:

[...]

Had a friend that owned a chicken farm, and he'd raise a couple of pigs
every year or two, one became his and his wife's pet. That thing was
hilarious! He eventually met the same fate. He was so big that he'd try
to rub against you and knock you down!