mlvosk

Default Need help with OMC 50 hp 2 cyl to 60 HP conversion

To make a long story short, my 1985 Evinrude 50 (2cyl) with a jet foot
attached just isn't quite enough to plane out 2 people at my 5000 ft+
altitude. So, lacking the funds for a new motor, I am converting it to
the 60 hp version, or at least attempting to. I understand this will
shorten the life of the motor and reduce the reliability, but not being
able to plane out is no fun either.

I have obtained 60 hp carbs and intake and was just about to install
them when I heard the exhaust may also need to be modified. I can
still obtain the exhaust parts if I need them but don't want to go
through the extra expense and hassle if I don't. Does anyone out there
know for sure if the exhaust differs between the 50 and 60 hp versions
of this motor and if so, what parts do I really need? Your help would
really be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

trainfan1

mlvosk wrote:
[...]

Is this the 35 Jet 2 cylinder looper?

Rob
trainfan1

trainfan1 wrote:

mlvosk wrote:

[...]

Oh, you said '85. 35 Jet wasn't available yet from the factory.

You will need to get the parts diagrams & lists to compare the
mid-section exhaust tuner part numbers.

By '85, (since the 1976 55 hp) the 2 cylinder loopers(40-45-50-55-60)
shared the 45 CID displacement. I think the de-tuning was done at the
carb throat size.

Do you need the jet? Going back to a gearcase will give you more push
and allow you to easily change props to get the rpm range where it
should be.

Rob
mlvosk

Thanks for the advice, I found a catalog on line at:

http://epc.brp.com/

According to this, the exhaust parts are the same, looks like I lucked
out.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

mlvosk

Rob, it is the 2 cyl 50 hp looper with a jet foot attached (giving 35
at the jet or more like 28 at my altitude).

MV

mlvosk

Wish I didn't need the jet, but I run the South Fork of the Snake
through the summer and running a prop would get pretty expensive,
though it might be a wash with gas being what it is now. Marine
dealers are a bit scarce up here and I don't know where to get a hold
of a parts list to compare the two. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
MV

mlvosk

Rob,

You mention the mid-section tuner as being possibly different. I
assume by that you mean the "tin" inside the midsection and not the
entire midsection? I can still get that piece and if it is just a
matter of replacing that with the carbs and intake to be sure then it
seems like a no-brainer. If I need to replace the entire mid section
maybe my fishing buddy and I need to loose weight or take less gear
until I can afford a real upgrade.

MV

mast conversion General 0 May 6th 06 10:27 PM
For Peggie: conversion of a Jabsco 37010 Series electric toilets to "Quiet - Flush" Robert Seynaeve Cruising 4 February 22nd 06 01:06 AM
Volvo Penta AQ120B Weber Carb Conversion Kit FS DBM1964 General 0 January 9th 06 02:18 AM
jet ski hull to scull conversion? [email protected] Boat Building 6 January 4th 06 07:55 PM
Another Conversion! Amen! Bob Crantz ASA 0 October 24th 05 01:28 AM