JIMinFL

Default Standby for heavy rolls

wrote in message
oups.com...

JIMinFL wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

jps wrote:
In article ,
says...
http://news.yahoo.com/fc/US/Bush_Family/

What a sickening thought.

jps

Please don't get sucked in by this troll.

Why not? Are you trying to set standards for the newsgroup?

Simply expressing my opinion.

My opinion is that guys who think the boating newsgroup should be
converted to a right wing extension of the Rush Limbaugh show or a left
wing extension of PBS are of damn little use to a boating discussion
group.

How's your memory? Maybe not so good? Go back to last November and read
a list of subject headers for this group on any given day. You'll find
name calling in the headers, and almost no boating content at all.
Nobody was responsible for it, ("I only posted one OT political thread,
and there are dozens of them out there!"), and everybody was justified,
("The right wing, the left wing, the Midget Communists Against
Abortion, and the animal rights people are all posting here, why
shouldn't I?")

Nobody can control the behavior of a group. We all can and all should
control our own.
Since the general effort began to encourgage a greater amount of adult
behavior and refrain from OT posts like "Those damn Canadians want to
honor all the draft dodgers!" the group has attracted a lot of new
participants and nearly all of the threads are boating related.

So, take a look at last November and take a look at now. If you prefer
the tone of last November's group, the good news is that there are
thousands of groups out there that are just that bad, or even worse. It
wouldn't be hard to find one. It seems that most of the folks who want
to call names and repeat the talking points from the latest right wing
or left wing propaganda sheet have a lot of places to do that, but
there aren't that many sites where people congregate to discuss boats
and boating.

You want to make political posts? Go for it, but why not do it in a
group where it would be welcome? Why is it important to screw up a
boating NG by introducing inflammatory topics that don't have a damn
thing to do with boating?

So no, I'm not setting standards for the behavior of the group. But I
might express an opionion about individual behaviors sometimes. After
all, if you can express an opinion about the behavior of an entire
nation (Canadians), you surely can't think it's odd for me to express
an opinion about a single individual whose behavior is having a
measurable impact on the NG.

The best way to react to a troll is to ignore it if you don't want to
participate. Every response perpetuates the troll. Even net nannying helps
to keep it going.

Heck, Just expressing an opinion on something could be considered a troll.

Have a nice day, Chuck

JohnH

On Thu, 11 May 2006 14:34:43 GMT, "JIMinFL" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

jps wrote:
In article ,
says...
http://news.yahoo.com/fc/US/Bush_Family/

What a sickening thought.

jps

Please don't get sucked in by this troll.

Why not? Are you trying to set standards for the newsgroup?

There is no reason for the newsgroup to be an inflammatory, name-calling,
slug fest. There are some folks who think it should be, and I hope you're
not one of them.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
JIMinFL

"JohnH" wrote in message
On Thu, 11 May 2006 14:34:43 GMT, "JIMinFL" wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...

jps wrote:
In article ,
says...
http://news.yahoo.com/fc/US/Bush_Family/

What a sickening thought.

jps

Please don't get sucked in by this troll.

Why not? Are you trying to set standards for the newsgroup?

There is no reason for the newsgroup to be an inflammatory, name-calling,
slug fest. There are some folks who think it should be, and I hope you're
not one of them.
--
'Til next time,

John H