Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to can.rec.boating,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Mark

Default Leaking drain plug flange and Alpha 1 Cathode questions

Just getting the boat ready for launch in the next week or so and I am
trying to fix up a couple things yet to do and have a couple questions:
1) My drain plug flange has been leaking, so I got some 3M 5200 silicone to
reseal it. When removing the flange to clean up the surfaces I found 2
screws were self tapping (as expected), but the 3rd is a bolt which appears
to also hold onto a wire (with a crimped-on loop connector). The long bolt
goes through the flange and transom and then suspect the connector to be
held on to the bolt with a nut. The boat is an 1986 model 268 Searay
Sundancer and there is next to no room to get into / around the flange at
the inside of the boat to have someone to hold the nut, so I am going to try
a bit of silicone to hold the nut temporarily onto the wire connector so I
can get it started on to the bolt. Does this sound like a reasonable
approach or does anyone have any suggestions?

Also I am not certain what the wire is actually even for, as it again is
difficult to trace down in behind and under the engine, but suspect it may
be for electrolysis or something. Is this a fair assumption or does anyone
know for sure?

2) I removed the electrolysis cathode (I think it is fair to call) from the
bottom of the transom housing (two bolts) to make it easier to paint the
housing, and noticed some sort of build up or contamination or something on
the surface. Can or should I try sanding or cleaning up the surface to
improve the electrolysis or is this natural and not really a problem? My
anode (on the outdrive) is eroding as expected and there appears to be a
little erossion on the two (screw-on) knobs at each side on the lower part
of the housing, so I suspect everything is functioning there ok. Should
the two knobs and cathode be replaced periodically? I boat in fresh water
on the St. Lawrence.

Mark
The Rail, Canopy, & LifeLine (accessory) Hook guy
www.ripnet.com/vtf/prod03.htm