Bolisk

Default Very troubelsome Mercruiser Water Leak!!!

Hello everyone!

I've seen and read a few post releated to water leak's, but I'm not
sure that they are the same as mine, so I decided to start a new
thread. Here is my problem.

1) 2000 Mercruiser 5.0L v-8
2) Alpha 1 Gen2 outdrive.
3) Engine is properly winterized following all the recomendations in
the shop manuals. A concentrated dose of antifreeze was run through
the egine (when hot), but not drained. This has never been a problem in
the past.

Took the boat out of winter (outdoor) storage to summerize for this
season. Connected the hose to the outdrive (just like the last 3
years) and proceeded to start the engine. Engine fried right up (only
has 300 hours on it). Immediatly I noticed that water was pooring off
the back of the enginee right into the bilge. I imediatly stoped the
engine and inspected the situation. Absolutely no water was getting to
the exaust ports in the transom plate, or the exhaust through the prop.
.. .could be because I didn't let the engine run long enough.
Reguardless there was an awful lot of water falling from the back of
the engine. Next thing I did was check the oil, and there did not
appear to be any water in the oil. . .so the odds of cracked block I
would think was virtually nil. My immedate problem is that I'm a
fairly big guy and was not able to get deep enough into the engine
compartement to inspect the issue further.

I have since taken the boat to the dealer to have that issue
investigated and fixed. The service manager immediatly took a quick
look at the engine with a flashlight and mirror (a day after with no
water hooked up) and said that it didn't look like a cracked block, and
that he didn't know what the problem was but would investigate it when
my rotation on the schedule comes up.

So. . .the reason I brought my issue here is for three reasons. . .

1) the suspecnce of not knowing is killing me.
2) I would like to have an idea of what the problem might be before the
service center finally root causes the problem. Especailly if it's
easy.. .so I can fix it myself.
3) I would like to have a ball park estimate of what is involved and
the cost with fixing said issue.

Your oppinions please!

Thanks, and best regards,
Bolisk

JohnH

On 27 Apr 2006 07:42:50 -0700, "Bolisk" wrote:

[...]

One year a mechanic broke off the little plastic lever for one of the drain
plugs on the bottom of my 5.7L Mercruiser. When that piece was broken off,
it left a hole through the drain plug. It took me quite a while to figure
out the problem, but the owner of the marina *did* buy me a new drain plug,
for about $5.95.

Good luck!
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
JIMinFL

Can you tell us exactly where the water is coming from? Pictures of the leak
source would be extremely helpful. A video would be even better. Could be
you forgot to attach a hose or left a drain plug out. Could be the engine
was run without water and burned a hole in an exhaust tube. Could be a
cracked block or exhaust manifold. Running antifreeze thru an engine (the
Skipper method) is a hit or miss proposition and very wasteful of
antifreeze. Draining the engine and manifolds isn't hard. I don't know why
so many people are reluctant to do it.
Jim

ps.com...

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 19:37:03 GMT, "JIMinFL" wrote:

Can you tell us exactly where the water is coming from? Pictures of the leak
source would be extremely helpful. A video would be even better. Could be
you forgot to attach a hose or left a drain plug out. Could be the engine
was run without water and burned a hole in an exhaust tube. Could be a
cracked block or exhaust manifold. Running antifreeze thru an engine (the
Skipper method) is a hit or miss proposition and very wasteful of
antifreeze. Draining the engine and manifolds isn't hard. I don't know why
so many people are reluctant to do it.
Jim

Jim, for some silly reason I've thought the anti-freeze route was the way
to go. I've been afraid that draining the block through the drain plugs and
draining the manifolds through their drain plugs was more dangerous than
putting in anti-freeze - that a little water may be left behind to cause
serious damage. I'd *love* to learn that I've been wasting money all these
years!
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
JIMinFL

Actually John, You should do both. Draining gets 99% of the water out and
refilling with a 50/50 antifreeze solution fights rust and scale. Pull the
big hose from the tstat housing and pour the mixture into the hose. That
will fill the engine. You need to take other hoses off to fill the
manifolds. I left the riser drains off to be able to tell when the manifold
was full. Then you need to push the water out of the oil cooler with
antifreeze or disconnect a hose to drain it. Do whichever is easier. There
may even be a drain plug down there now. 2 gallons mixed 50/50 is more than
enough to do a V8.
Jim

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 20:31:21 GMT, "JIMinFL" wrote:

Actually John, You should do both. Draining gets 99% of the water out and
refilling with a 50/50 antifreeze solution fights rust and scale. Pull the
big hose from the tstat housing and pour the mixture into the hose. That
will fill the engine. You need to take other hoses off to fill the
manifolds. I left the riser drains off to be able to tell when the manifold
was full. Then you need to push the water out of the oil cooler with
antifreeze or disconnect a hose to drain it. Do whichever is easier. There
may even be a drain plug down there now. 2 gallons mixed 50/50 is more than
enough to do a V8.
Jim
"JohnH" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 19:37:03 GMT, "JIMinFL" wrote:
Jim, for some silly reason I've thought the anti-freeze route was the way
to go. I've been afraid that draining the block through the drain plugs
and
draining the manifolds through their drain plugs was more dangerous than
putting in anti-freeze - that a little water may be left behind to cause
serious damage. I'd *love* to learn that I've been wasting money all these
years!
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

Thanks Jim. That info is definitely appreciated!
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
Bolisk

I wish I knew where the water was comming from. I was never able to
get my big ars deep enough into the bilge and behind the engine to see.
Didn't have a mirror either. Boat is now out of my hands, so getitng
video is out of the question.

I don't believe it's a problem with the exaust or exhaust tube. .
..although it could be. Reason I say no is because the engine was
running for probably a total of 10-15 seconds before I noticed and then
shut the engine off. Even after that 10-15 seconds. . .the exaust
manafolds were warm. When water is running though it. . .they take a
lot longer (like minutes) to be warm. So I think it's a problem with
the water on the way in from the outdrive. Another reason is.. .even
with the engine off. . .there was water leaking off the back of the
engine. . .this appears to be from the watter pressure from the hose
connected to the outdrive. Disconnecting the hose. . .supprise
suppirse. . .stopped the leak. I can't imaging the hose having
enough water pressure to push the water completly though the block and
exahust manifolds without the water pump in the outdrive running.

If it was a cracked block. ..wouldn't water in the oil be a near
certainty???? I'm fairly mechaniacaly inclined. . .I just helped by
friend rebuild his 1965 396 Big Block for his Vett. . .so I know a
little something. There wasn't any water in the oil.

All I really know is that a lot of watter was "flooding" (for lack of a
better term) off the bottom back of the engine. I don't think any
water was actually getting into the engine. Reason I say this is
because I removed one of the drain plugs. . .and antifreeze came out.
Also the exahust ports on the transom and though the prop were bone
dry.

With regards to anti-freeze and draining. The shop manual I have tells
you that at the minimum you should run anti-freeze though the engine,
but only after the engine is at operating temp. They recommend pulling
the drain pluggs for added assurance. . .but I've never seen the need
as I and many others have done the anti-freeze option for years without
problems. However. . .you can be damn sure that I will change my ways
next season.

I guess I'm wonering if there is a hose connecting the water intake
from the outdrive to the engine block. . .I would think there would
have to be! Possible that it fell off. . .is it easy for a thin person
to access and fix. . .does the engine have to be removed? Or is the
water intake connection a solid pipe from the transom to the engine?

James

There is a hose that comes from the outdrive, goes thru the power steering
oil cooler and then into the thermostat housing. It is the supply hose from
the outdrive water pump. You can get at it from the side of the engine.

"Bolisk" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

If the hose fell off the coupler running thru the inner transom plate you
could certainly spray the bell housing area AND there would be no water
supply to the engine. The outdrive impeller typically interferes with water
flow when the engine is not running, so check that the impeller has not
taken a set or has broken vanes.
Jim

"Bolisk" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Richard J Kinch

Bolisk writes:

Your oppinions please!

I fixed a problem much like that. Engine sat for months, and the sheet
metal plate on the back of the raw water pump had corroded through during
the idle time. It was hard to see where this leak actually started,
though. Like leaks in your roof that travel a long way before being seen.