Joe

Default What's the difference between auto a marine cylinder heads?

I need to replace the heads on my OMC (Ford) 5.0L efi motor.
I was looking at the price for new heads from OMC and almost died.
(1300 @)
Is there any reason I can't use heads from a car with the same motor
and just change the freeze out plugs?

I thinkt hey're the same. except the marine probably has steel valves.

I'd try it.

PLUS ! You have to rememebr,t hat the marine store is giong to charge
full list price on those heads.

you could get DIY though an auto parts store or machine shop for
considerably less.. Call NAPA etc, and price some exchange heads.

Joe

Thanks. That's kind of what I thought.
Just ordered a set of heads complete for 600 total and they are going
to put the brass plugs in for free.
2600.
600.
-------
2000 saved. Were is that radar dept?

Thanks again

basskisser

wrote:
I thinkt hey're the same. except the marine probably has steel valves.

Huh? What material would the auto engine's valves be made of??

Gene Kearns wrote:
On 18 Apr 2006 09:12:18 -0700, "basskisser"

I thinkt hey're the same. except the marine probably has steel valves.

Huh? What material would the auto engine's valves be made of??

I think we are talking *stainless* valves and stellite seats.

Also, you'll need to use a marine head gasket.

There may be potential problems in bolting marine exhaust systems to
your auto heads.

Let us know how it turns out......

Thanks Gene, I should have clarified such.....

There may be potential problems in bolting marine exhaust systems to
your auto heads.

I'm not totally sure, but I don't think there's a difference on the
bolt-up from marine and automotive. I believe they are compatable on
the 5.0 H.O. and marine....

That's better!

Of course, it is!

Now, have you tried some E-85 in your 2-cycle yet?

it's good for the ecology, y'know....