JohnH

Default Dewinterizing - help!

My marina has a new 'special' this year. Three years ago, they had a
'spring tune up' special. They installed new plugs, rotor, cap, timed the
engine, adjusted carb, checked belts, etc. for $195. I felt it was worth
it, especially given the 'guarantee' for 90 days.

This year the 'Dewinterization' special consists of no more than checking
flluids, all the lights and switches and accessories, and engine running,
for $120. Note that there is no 'fixing' of anything involved. The result
of the special will be a list of items checked and faults, if any, found.
Then arrangements must be made to get the faults corrected.

What I'm wondering is: can I just hook up the muffs and start the engine to
run the anti-freeze out of it? I'm planning to go up tomorrow and see if
the damn thing will run. The batteries are charged, must be installed.
Other than that, and checking to see that everything works, what 'special'
things must be done to 'dewinterize'?

Thanks!
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
Reggie Smithers

JohnH wrote:
[...]

JohnH,
Sounds like one hell of a deal for the dealer.

You should not flush the antifreeze out of your engine, unless it is
biodegrable.

If it is the "normal" antifreeze it needs to be recyled. For the sake
of the Ches. Bay, you want to verify this.

I would never pay for the services you have listed, because I want to do
that myself. It gives me something to do and I trust my skills in
"checking" things out better than I trust theirs.
JohnH

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 12:16:31 -0400, Reggie Smithers
wrote:

JohnH wrote:
[...]

Yeah, that's what I told the manager. I couldn't believe they were asking
for $120 to throw some switches and look at things and then present me with
a list of things needing 'doing'. The anti-freeze in the boat is safe for
the environment, so that's not a worry.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
Dan J.S.

"JohnH" wrote in message
[...]

my marina has mandated this service to be mandatory.. its $90 - kinda
sucks, but you cant do anything since there are wating lists to get in
anywhere else..

JimH

"Dan J.S." wrote in message

"JohnH" wrote in message
[...]

That sure does suck. Even a blindfolded monkey can do those simple things.

RCE

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message

"Dan J.S." wrote in message

"JohnH" wrote in message
[...]

Pay the 90 bucks and support your marina.

Running a full service marina has to be tough. In order to respond to
patrons' boat problems during the season in a timely manner the marina owner
has to adequately staff with qualified service people. When things are
slow, that overhead continues. Personally, I think it's a good idea to
utilize their services from time to time even if you could do it yourself,
because someday you may need their services for something that you can't.

RCE

JimH

"Dan J.S." wrote in message

"JohnH" wrote in message
[...]

I agree that operating a marina has to be tough. So is operating a
restaurant, bar, retail store or just about any other business.

Unless there is a valid reason otherwise, offer the pre-launch service but
do not put a gun to the head of the customers mandating the service.

Personally, I think it's a good idea to utilize their services from time to
time even if you could do it yourself, because someday you may need their
services for something that you can't.

RCE

A good marina will provide service for you even if you have never utilized
any of their optional services in the past.....they would be silly not to.

Remember that some folks like to tinker on their boats as they enjoy doing
so. Others do it to save money. Why penalize these folks with a
ridiculous prelaunch service that really most any boater can do themselves?

RCE

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message
. ..

"Dan J.S." wrote in message

"JohnH" wrote in message
[...]

You missed my point. Sure, they'll provide it .... it they have it to
provide.

Remember that some folks like to tinker on their boats as they enjoy doing
so. Others do it to save money. Why penalize these folks with a
ridiculous prelaunch service that really most any boater can do
themselves?

I am not saying you can't or shouldn't putter on your boat. I am just
saying that if you like have the resources available of a full service
marina, you should use them from time to time, otherwise they won't be
there.

90 bucks? You'll blow that in one afternoon of cruising.

RCE

JohnH

"Dan J.S." wrote in message

"JohnH" wrote in message
[...]

I've no problem using their services, when they are actually *doing*
something. I would easily pay for the three hours labor for a 'spring tune
up', which I've done. But, they don't offer that anymore. Now it's $120 for
a dewinterization 'check up'. If the engine won't start, they don't fix the
problem, they just mark the checklist. Then, the customer must call and
schedule the repairs to the engine.

As an earlier poster said, the marina has a waiting list, so they're not
being hurt much. I've never seen them have a slack time!
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
Dan J.S.

"Dan J.S." wrote in message

"JohnH" wrote in message
[...]

I dont mind supporting them, but something doesn't add up. I called today
asking about why this is mandated. They said its some regulation. What about
the boats that launch in ramps daily? Makes no sense. Gonna check it out. I
am not complaining about the $90 as much as the fact that it will now take
an extra 2 weeks to get the in water - my last name starts with S and they
are doing these checkups by alphabetical order with 5 mechanics... They have
like 300 boats.